Minutes
2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

OK-ACRL Board Meeting Minutes
2003

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
January 10, 2002
Taj Indian Restaurant
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Susan Hahn, Outgoing Past President
Jason Dupree, Incoming Vice-President/President Elect
Steve Locy, Treasurer
Gina Minks, Incoming Secretary
Suzanne Holcombe, Past Secretary
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Incoming Board

Beth called the meeting to order at 12:00 p.m.

Minutes: The minutes from November were approved.

Treasurer's Report: Steve distributed copies of the report for January. It includes the final financial report for the 2002 OK-ACRL Fall Conference.

Midwinter and National ACRL: Beth asked if anyone was attending ALA Midwinter in Philadelphia so that someone would be able to attend the Chapter Council. No one is planning on attending. Steve mentioned the 11th national ACRL meeting in Charlotte, NC, April 10-13.

Introductions: Gwen officially introduced Beth as the new president. Beth introduced the new officers: Jason Dupree as Incoming Vice-President/President Elect, Gina Minks as Secretary, Steve Locy as continuing Treasurer, and Christina Biles as the new Board member. She thanked Gwen Dobbs, Suzanne Holcombe for serving as President and Secretary respectively. Marilyn Moore has also finished her term as Board member.

Newsletter: The December newsletter was waiting for approval from Sherry before being printed/mailed and released to the Web site. A draft of the newsletter was passed around. Steve mentioned that he will be putting a statement on the next newsletter asking members to let him know if they would prefer to view the newsletter solely online or if they wish to continue to receive it in paper. Online only would save printing and mailing costs.

Thank you: Gwen reported that she had received a thank you note from Craig Gibson, Conference speaker. He relayed that he had found the workshop to be one of the best in which he had participated.

Meeting times: Beth asked if Tuesdays or Wednesdays would work for meeting times. After a discussion, members decided that the second Friday afternoon of the month was still be the best time.

Conferences: Beth and Gwen brought up the topic of a mini-conference. After some discussion about time and a lack of topics, members decided that one conference would be fine this year, in October/November. Beth asked for ideas for the workshop focus/topic.

COIL: COIL is planning on doing a large conference and will be bringing in a speaker from outside the state. But they do not have a budget and or treasurer. Beth will discuss their plans and Bylaws with the incoming Chair, David Oberhelman.

OLA NMR: The Chair of OLA New Members Roundtable Adri Edwards-Johnson, has asked OK-ACRL to participate in a career workshop and ongoing state-wide resume service. The members decided that we would help to sponsor this with our name, and OK-ACRL would assist with the publicity of the event and service via its newsletter, Web site, etc.

The next meeting will be held on February 14 at OSU-OKC.

The meeting was adjourned at 1 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, 15 January 2003.
Suzanne Holcombe, Outgoing Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
February 14, 2003
Oklahoma State University - Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Gina Minks, Secretary
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Board

Beth called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m.

Minutes: The minutes from the January meeting were approved with one minor correction.

Treasurer’s Report: In Steve’s absence, Beth distributed copies of the report for February. This report included the expense for printing and sending the Newsletter. National ACRL will reimburse a portion of this expense. The Treasurer’s Report was approved as submitted.

ALA Midwinter Meeting Report: Beth handed out copies of “ACRL Board Actions at the 2003 ALA Midwinter Meeting (Philadelphia)” and pointed out two actions: 1) The Membership Committee‘s proposal to include section and chapter representatives on the Membership Committee was defeated; 2) It was approved to allot each chapter $1.50, a 50% increase, for each national personal ACRL member living within the geographic region served by the chapter for fiscal 2004.

Newsletter: Beth discussed the distribution of the newsletter in PDF format. This option for receiving the email will be on all new membership applications and in the next newsletter. Sherry has agreed to write a Legislative column for the newsletter. In addition, Beth would like the newsletter to go back to being published four times a year. She would like to get more ideas for content from the OLA Brown Bag meeting as well as from the readers.

Legislative Day Report: Sherry Young and Gwen Dobbs reported on Legislative Day. They both stated that there is a need for more College and Research Libraries to get involved with Legislative Day with the budget crunch and other needs. At the last Legislative Day only four academic libraries were represented. Gwen also stated that the congressmen said they liked to have something that they could take away from the meeting such as a pamphlet. She also stated that they liked hearing from the patrons on behalf of the libraries.

OLA Brown Bag Agenda: The OKARCL Brown Bag is scheduled for Friday, March 28 from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City. This meeting will include the introduction of the officers as well as trying to get feedback from the membership on topics for the conference and for the newsletter.

Conference Topics: Beth has been talking with Susan Hahn about getting Gerard Puccio to do his Creative Problem Solving workshop. A lot of details are still unknown, but he isn’t cheap. Beth proposes that we speak to Susan about sponsoring him jointly for a conference. She will send out any information she receives about this workshop.

Old Business:
SPRING CONFERENCE – Beth hasn’t heard back from the OLA NMRT concerning what kind of support they want from OKACRL in terms of their resume-writing workshop. If we don’t hear anything from NMRT or SLA and the “Creative Problem Solving” workshop, we will then focus on the fall conference because the spring is almost over in terms of planning additional events. Beth will keep us updated on any developments.

New Business:

  • No COIL update because David Oberhelman was unable to attend the meeting. Beth will be meeting with him soon.
  • Please be sure to keep on top of email to Beth. OSU has been having problems with their email and if you send her something and don’t hear back, please send the message again.
  • Beth proposed that the OKARCL treasury pay half of the Oklahoma Library Association 2003 Conference pre-registration for any OKACRL board member who chooses to attend the OKACRL Brown Bag/Table Talk on Friday, March 28th, 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. If all nine board members attend the entire OLA conference, the maximum amount that could be expended from the treasury is $517.50. After discussion, it was decided that Beth and Steve will contact Kay Boies to see how to proceed with paying half registration for those board members attending OLA. Before next year’s conference, this issue will be revisited. Beth and Steve will send out any news on this situation.

Next Meeting Location and Date: The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, March 28 from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City in conjunction with the OLA Brown Bag meeting. The April meeting will be April 11th at UCO in Edmond.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, 26 February 2003.
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
March 28, 2003
Cox Center, Oklahoma Library Association Annual Meeting
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Gina Minks, Secretary
Christina Biles, Board

Beth called the meeting to order at 12:30 p.m. by introducing herself and the other board members present. Eight OLA participants also attended the meeting.

Minutes: The minutes from the February meeting were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: In Steve’s absence, Beth distributed copies of the report for March. The Treasurer’s Report was approved.

Newsletter: Beth spoke to the membership present about the proposed updates for the newsletter. Christina added that the editors are looking to report more information about what is going on in the academic libraries throughout the state. This information could include information about new hires, promotions, and renovations. Beth also mentioned the addition of the legislative column for the newsletter.

Conference Topics: Beth handed out a sheet on a proposed joint OK-SLA and OK-ACRL fall conference containing excerpts from email between Susan Hahn, past president of OK-ACRL and OK-SLA, and Gerard Puccio of the International Center for Studies in Creativity at Buffalo State University. Susan has heard fantastic reviews of his “Creativity in the Workplace” workshop from other SLA chapters and is interested in bringing him here. Members were asked to look over the handout and send feedback to Beth or other board members.

Beth also asked for any other topics that would of interest. One member stated that she would be interested in hearing more about the proposed statewide digitization project that was presented in the OLA session “Establishing a Statewide Digitization Effort in Oklahoma” by Gina Minks, TU, and Cokie Anderson, OSU.

New Business: Beth asked if there was any new business:

  • Two questions were asked about how OK-ACRL works and what is the make up of the board.
  • Retha Robertson, Oklahoma City University, is the current president of OK-SLA and mentioned that they would love to have us co-sponsor their fall conference.

Next Meeting Location and Date: The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, April 11, 2003 at 1:00 at University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. The May meeting is scheduled to meet at the University of Tulsa on May 16th.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, 3 April 2003.
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
April 11, 2003
University of Central Oklahoma
Edmond, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Jason Dupree, Vice-President/President Elect
Gina Minks, Secretary
Christina Biles, Board

Beth called the meeting to order at 1:00

Minutes: The minutes from the February and March meeting were approved with two minor changes. The title of Gina Minks was changed to Secretary from Incoming Secretary on the February and March minutes and the attendance for the March meeting was changed from “Eight OK-ACRL members were also in attendance” to “Eight OLA participants also attended the meeting.”

Treasurer’s Report: No Treasurer’s Report was given.

Newsletter: The next newsletter will be sent out in approximately a month and a half. Christina reported that she has gotten positive feedback on the PDF format of the newsletter. She hopes to highlight the Fall Conference in two issues. Christina has also received an offer for copies of the OK-ACRL Newsletters back to 1990.

Brown Bag: Eight OLA participants attended the Brown Bag meeting held in conjunction with the Oklahoma Library Association meeting. Gwen thought the low attendance at the meeting was perhaps due to strong competition from other sessions. In addition, the group that did attend the Brown Bag meeting did not give much feedback about a Fall Conference theme. It was suggested that next year, the board should look at the OLA schedule before deciding to have another Brown Bag meeting.

Conference Topics: Beth likes Gerard Puccio of the International Center for Studies in Creativity at Buffalo State University “Creativity in the Workplace” as a topic for the Fall Conference. She will be talking to Susan Hahn from SLA soon for a cost breakdown. Christina has concerns about the cost of the seminar verses the value.

Beth asked for other ideas for the Fall Conference. The topic of Digitization in Oklahoma was brought up as a possible conference topic at the Brown Bag. After discussion, it was decided to be too specific to attract a large audience. Gwen suggested that perhaps we should look at interesting speakers verses specific topics. She suggested perhaps the new Academic Librarian of the year or someone who would attract administrators. Jason suggested something on virtual reference but the annual Virtual Reference Desk meeting is in San Antonio this year so many people may be planning on attending that. Beth suggested Karen Schneider from Blue Highways as a possible speaker.

Gwen suggested that we need a price breakdown on the costs involved with co-sponsoring the “Creativity in the Workplace” seminar with SLA before we make a decision. Beth stated that she will send out the information about the costs and wanted everyone to send feedback.

New Business: Beth asked if there was any new business.

  • Christina will continue to send out the newsletter in as both regular mail and PDF for members. She has been able to fix many of the broken email addresses.
  • Beth has talked to Steve about sending out a mailing for people to update their contact information. Christina suggested that perhaps we should also verify our member list against the National ACRL list.

Next Meeting Location and Date: The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, May 16, 2003, 1:00 at the University of Tulsa

The meeting was adjourned at 2:00 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, 2 May 2003.
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
May 16, 2003
University of Tulsa
Tulsa, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Steve Locy, Treasurer
Gina Minks, Secretary
Christina Biles, Board

Beth called the meeting to order at 12:50.

Minutes: The minutes from the April were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: The April Treasurer’s report was approved.

Newsletter: The next newsletter will be sent out in mid to late June. Gina will supply an article on the James Joyce exhibit opening at TU. Steve will check on a couple of story leads. Christina has started working on getting PDF versions of old newsletters. The next newsletter will be sent out as both a PDF and through regular mail.

Conference Topics: Susan Hahn, President of SLA, is trying to come up with corporate sponsorship for a joint fall conference. If we cannot find sponsors, the costs of the “Creativity in the Workplace”. The current costs for the conference breakdown as follows:

Speaker fee $1250
Airfare, Buffalo,NY-OKC    600
Hotel w/meals    180
Workshop catering    750 *
TOTAL $2780

* Includes am coffee, lunch and pm cookies
(Estimate does not include his $15-$25 assessment tool kit)

Assuming we had 55 registrants – if the registration fee was $51 we would break even. Charging $55 we would make $245.

Beth is planning on contacting David Robinson at OSU-OKC to see if they would be willing sponsor the conference and have the conference there. They have a great meeting space and good catering. Beth will also contact Kay Boies, OLA, to make sure the conference date does not interfere with any OLA meetings.

New Business: There was no new business

Next Meeting Location and Date: Steve volunteered to host the next meeting at Oklahoma State University. The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, June 13, 2003, 1:00 with lunch at 11:30.

The meeting was adjourned at 12:15.

Respectfully submitted, May 22, 2003.
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
June 13, 2003
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Jason Dupree, Vice-President/President Elect
Steve Locy, Treasurer
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Board
David Oberhelman, COIL Chair

Beth called the meeting to order at 12:52.

Minutes: The minutes from the May were approved with two minor changes. David Roberson should be David Robinson and the May meeting began at 11:50 not 12:50.

Treasurer’s Report: The May Treasurer’s report was approved.

Newsletter: There is nothing new to report about digitizing the newsletters. The next newsletter will be out with conference information in late June to early July, depending on scheduling around ALA.

Conference Topics: The Fall Conference will be November 14, 2003 at OSU-OKC. The rooms will have the same layout as 2 years ago. One room will be in conference layout with long rectangular tables facing the speaker. The next room over will be set up for lunch. Many thanks for sponsorship go to David Robinson as it means that the space is free. Susan Hahn, Vice-President of SLA, has convinced EBSCO to sponsor us $500.00. We will be splitting costs and profits 50/50 with SLA. After discussion, the board agreed that we would rather get the older edition of the assessment tool for free instead of buying the newest edition. The approximate times are 8:15 for registration and then the session will begin at 9:15. Woods has volunteered to speak to Katrina in Catering about pricing and menu options. Beth specifically requests “More Cookies!” The current budget allows for the catering price to have gone up from $500.00 to $750.00.

Beth raised the question to Steve as treasurer on how to handle buying the plane ticket for the speaker. Advice from Gwen from last year – using a personal credit card is not a good idea. We now have forms to make not paying tax easier. Would it be possible to get a corporate credit card? Steve will talk to Stillwater National to find out if we can get a corporate credit card and how much it might be in fees. Someone will need to call/write about flight preferences of the speaker.

The need for a follow-up meeting, perhaps a joint meeting with SLA, was discussed but will require coordination. Consensus is that we should try for either a July or August meeting at OSU-OKC to check out facilities. We would have the other month off. Other topics – what technical support needs will the speaker need? How will the setup in the conference room affect group work? How will brochures be handled?

New Business: There was no new business

Next Meeting Location and Date: Woods Wheeler has volunteered to hold the meeting in either July or August, depending on how coordination with SLA works out. The meeting is tentatively scheduled for July 11 at Oklahoma State University in Oklahoma City.

The meeting was adjourned at 1:23.

Respectfully submitted, 18 June 2003.
Christina Biles, Board Member and Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
August 9, 2003
Oklahoma State University -- Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Jason Dupree, Vice-President/President Elect
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Board
Doug Amos, Special Guest

Beth called the meeting to order at 1:08 noting that, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond her immediate control, Secretary Gina Minks would be unable to attend. Board Member Sherry Young volunteered to take notes and began to do so.

Minutes: The group approved the August meeting minutes after taking special note of the recording of President Beth Reiten’s "more [conference] cookies" call.

Treasurer’s Report: Group members approved the August Treasurer’s report.

President Beth reported that the Treasurer Steve Locy applied for an OK ACRL credit card but has not yet heard from the bank regarding an application decision. Steve has agreed to serve as conference registrar. Susan Hahn, SLA Vice President, is in charge of working with the conference facilitator regarding his travel expenses. He has agreed to make his travel arrangements and be reimbursed by OK ACRL.

Newsletter: Board Member and Newsletter Editor Christina commented that she and co-editor Sherry had discussed the date of the next newsletter, specifically the merits of publishing a newsletter reminding folks of the conference and then sending a separate registration form versus sending the next newsletter and the registration form together. Beth suggested that, as the previous newsletter contained information regarding the conference date, the next newsletter be mailed with the registration form. Her comments rapidly convinced editors Christina and Sherry to follow this logical course of action. Beth asked group members to submit information regarding significant library-specific events to the editors. She commented that the newsletter has more character now that such information is included and graciously thanked the editors for their efforts. Sherry asked if any group member had an idea for an issue they would like covered in the newsletter. Past President Gwen suggested including information about how libraries can best meet student, faculty, and staff needs in changing times, thus giving Sherry an idea to consider.

Conference Topics: SLA Vice President Susan Hahn is creating the conference registration form. COIL Chair David Oberhelman offered to approach OLA with regarded to possible assistance advertising the conference in one or more of that group’s publications.

Coordinator of conference food, Board Member Woods Wheeler, presented group members with copies of the "Cowboy Buffet" menu and initiated discussion of food choices. After considerable debate, "hand carved roast beef" and "baked chicken" were selected from the entrée list. Vegetable selections sparked lively discussion, especially after some group members expressed distaste for certain brightly-colored options. Salad and dessert selections were made with relative ease. It was decided that china service was worth an additional seventy-five cents-per-person cost. With 150 cookies ordered for afternoon, President Beth’s "more cookies!" call was answered. Upon arrival in the morning, health conscious attendees will be pleased to find tea and fruit available alongside coffee and donuts.

Group members discussed food costs. As EBSCO and Kerr-McGee are providing financial support, group members feel confident about "splurging" on tea, fruit, china service and extra cookies.

Leadership opportunities are available in the form of future Vice President/President Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, and two Board Members. David volunteered to run for Board member. Hope was expressed that Treasurer Steve would continue in that position. Due to the timing of this year's conference, most voting will need to be accomplished prior to the conference rather than during it. It was suggested and agreed that making a ballot box available at the conference for late voters would be a good idea.

New Business: Beth questioned the need for requesting new members to list their home phone numbers on the registration form and suggested requesting only work phone numbers. Gwen asked if OK-ACRL included any retired members. Beth replied that it did, and the group agreed to ask only for one phone number and one fax number, thus leaving it to each applicant to decide whether to list work or home information.

Next Meeting Location and Date: Beth suggested September 12 as a possible date for the next meeting. As some members had plans that day, September 19 was established as a tentative date. Sherry suggested the possibility of a flexible time for the meeting that could be used to enable members to attend who might have conflicts at the usual 1:00 time. Beth suggested meeting in Lawton, and Sherry said she would be pleased to host the meeting. Group members agreed to make firm meeting plans at a later date.

The meeting adjourned at 2:03.

Respectfully submitted, August 10, 2003.
Sherry Young, Board Member for
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
September 19, 2003
OSU-OKC
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Beth Reiten, President
Jason Dupree, Vice-President/President Elect
Steve Locy, Treasurer
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Board
Susan Hahn, SLA president and Special Guest

Beth called the meeting to order at 12:55 p.m. and asked for a volunteer to take minutes since Gina Minks would not be able to attend. Steve volunteered.

Minutes: The minutes from the August meeting were approved.

Treasurer's Report: Steve distributed copies of the Treasurer’s Report for September, 2003. He noted that OK-ACRL has a balance of $4,545.39. He also reported that the membership list from ACRL was received but the number of members is subject to question since Beth and Christina are not on the list. According to this list we have 76 ACRL members (64 librarians and 12 Libraries/ODL). It was moved and seconded to accept the Treasurer’s report. Motion passed.

Newsletter: Christina indicated nothing has been done for the upcoming newsletter since the last one was sent. She is sure that there will be information to include after the conclusion of this meeting.

Conference Topics: Susan distributed copies of the registration form and an announcement she has been working on. Discussion followed on what to change, add, and delete. It was also asked what GOAL, another organization financially supporting the conference, stood for. Susan said she would incorporate changes and send out to board members for their approval and find out what GOAL stood for.

Woods asked how many to plan for lunch. It was agreed that 55 would be a good number.

Susan also mentioned that Kerr McGee has promised $500 for support as well as EBSCO. Steve volunteered to contact Vicki Vann at Kerr-McGee to obtain more information about funding.

Beth asked about what should be agreed to this month about the Nov. 14 conference schedule. After some discussion everyone agreed to the following schedule: 8:30 registration; 9:00-9:15 business meeting; 9:15 main speaker; Lunch 1 1/4 hrs. More details to follow at the next board meeting in October.

Conference Hotel: After some discussion it was agreed to have the Embassy Suites as the Conference Hotel. Steve was asked to contact hotel and make reservation for Dr. Puccio using the chapter’s credit card, for Thursday and Friday night.

Other Old Business
Ballots: Jason reported on his attempts to find members to run for officers and board members of OK-ACRL. David Oberhelman has agreed to run as a board member. Other names were offered to Jason to contact. Beth reminded Jason that Oct. 1 would be the deadline for receiving names and bios for the ballots since the bylaws mandate sending out the ballot one month before the election. It was agreed to send ballots with the next newsletter to save on expenses.

Beth mentioned that for future Presidents of OK-ACRL, August 15 is the deadline for supplying ACRL with a state chapter annual report.

New Business
COIL: Jason mentioned that Kelly Brown, chair-elect of COIL has resigned. David Oberhelman has suggested that COIL could hold elections as planned and he would serve the first half of the New Year through July 2004 and the newly elected chair would cover the 2nd half of the New Year and the following year through December 2006. Jason suggested that Chair, Chair-elect positions be frozen for one year, with elections to be held as planned on October/November. After a long discussion the Board decided to let David and Jason work it out among themselves and COIL members that would be the most convenient for all involved.

Next Meeting Location and Date:
It was agreed to meet October 10th at 11:30 at Zio’s, 2035 S. Meridian. Woods agreed to host another meeting at OSU-OKC to work out final details of the conference.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted, 1 October 2003.
Steve Locy, Treasurer for
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 


Minutes 2003
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
October 10, 2003
OSU-OKC
Oklahoma City, OK

Minutes

Present:
Jason Dupree, Vice-President/President Elect
Gwen Dobbs, Past President
Gina Minks, Secretary
Woods Wheeler, Board
Sherry Young, Board
Christina Biles, Board
David Oberhelman, COIL Chair
Susan Hahn, SLA President and Special Guest
Monica Bread, GOAL President and Special Guest

Jason Dupree called the meeting to order at 11:55.

Minutes: The group approved the September meeting minutes.

Treasurer's Report: In Steve Locy's absence, Christina Biles announced there was no treasurer's report but wanted to remind everyone that all conference registration should be sent to Steve.

Newsletter: Christina passed out copies of the newsletter and pointed out the candidates bios. She also gave all the ballots for the election to Jason to mail. Jason asked if there would be another newsletter this year. Christina said that there would be one that covered the conference as well as included another round of "what's new at your library?"

Conference Topics: There seems to be a lot of positive inquiries about the fall conference and Christina stated that Steve Locy was already receiving inquiries about POs for multiple registrations from an institution. Gwen stated that her director was really pushing the conference as something that would be applicable for everyone. It was noted that the conference is being limited to 55 participants.

Beth and Susan are picking up Dr. Puccio from the airport and he said that he would be interested in having dinner with the board members the night before the conference. Gwen asked if there was going to be a "packet party" to put together the packets the night before the conference? This questions brought up a discussion of items that needed to be included in the packet. The items that could be in the packet include:

  • Evaluation forms
  • Agenda
  • Speaker Bio
  • Information about lunch
  • Name tags
  • Membership forms
  • Ads for other/upcoming conferences
  • Copy of the presentation
  • Description of OK-ACRL candidates
  • OK-ACRL ballots
  • Pen and paper

Susan stated that she would provide the speaker bio as well as the pens and paper (she may have some left over from the Dean’s conference). Christina thought that Steve might also have some leftover nametags. Gwen asked if we needed to have something with EBSCO or Kerr McGee logo on is since they are sponsoring the conference. A suggestion was to have the logos on the pads of paper and Gwen volunteered to work on that.

Gwen brought up the packet party and stated that in years past, the board had gotten together the night before the conference and taken over the lobby of the hotel and put together the packets. General consensus was that this would be decided closer to the conference date and after a schedule for dinner with the speaker was set.

Gina asked what time we all needed to be at the conference for setup and was told that Steve usually had everything all organized and would be ready about 8:30. It was suggested that some signs be put around campus and parking areas directing people to the conference. An informal count of everyone planning to attend the conference was taken and everyone is planning to attend. Gina noted that her attendence is tentative still due to staff shortages at her library.

Old Business: There was no old business.

New Business: The election ballots will be sent separately from the newsletter. All board members and any candidates that are attending the fall conference will be introduced. Please be sure to vote!

David Oberhelman informed everyone that due to a situation within COIL about the chair elect position, David will continue in his role as Chair for 2004. However, they have a full slate of candidates for 2004.

There has been a request from Dana Belcher, ICC (Interlibrary Cooperation Committee) to have every state library organization elect a speaker for an OLA panel to speak for 5 minutes about his or her organization.

Jason reminded everyone that there are only two meetings left so start getting materials together for the handoff. The final luncheon meeting will be December 12 at UCO. Gwen volunteered to find a place for lunch.

Next Meeting Location and Date: The next meeting will coincide with the November 14 fall conference. No "extra meeting" will be needed.

The meeting adjourned at 12:15.

Respectfully submitted, 27 October 2003.
Gina Minks, Secretary.

 

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

 

Last Update: 29 October 2003
Comments to: jason.dupree@swosu.edu
URL http://okacrl.okstate.edu/minutes03.htm