Minutes
2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

OK-ACRL Board Meeting Minutes
2008

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

February 22, 2008
Rose State College
Midwest City, OK

 

Members Present: Laura Teske, David Oberhelman, Barbara Miller, Jason Cimock, Jamie Holmes, Ona Britton, Kiem Ta, Tom Thorisch

Minutes: December minutes will be rewritten and distributed for approval at the March meeting.

David Oberhelman will get certificates of thanks to former board members.

A copy of Lauren's timeline will be sent to Jason Dupree to put on the web page.

Treasurer's Report: Kiem reported a balance of $5,161.65 with all bills paid. This total is up $1,000 from last year. $65.60 was approved to send to COIL for mailing of surveys.

Kiem asked about the correct "list of members" and about how to go about making sure members are not paying extra to join when they already are members through national ACRL. Laura will look into this. This will be discussed later in the meeting.

COIL: Jamie officially thanked the board for postage costs. COIL sent 157 letters and emails for the survey. They will look at surveymonkey and follow up on "no response" answers to the survey with phone calls. COIL is brainstorming a "COIL on Wheels" program to reach rural communities who can't come to meetings. The group is interested in having a flyer on this program at OLA at the ACRL table. Several present indicated they did not receive the survey. Jamie will follow up on this. The summer COIL workshop will probably be in July. Possible topics include long term planning for information literacy programs. They also discussed what to put on a COIL blog.

DSIG: Jamie will facilitate until March 11, then will step back. (DSIG rotates leaders). The group tested "VYEW" - 6 microphones and four web cameras did not crash the system. Over 12 people were in on chat. Emails are out to members to solicit topics, but they have trouble getting presenters. They may do round table discussions instead but this is hard with the "VYEW" format. There will be a March 27th virtual meeting, topics will include Jing, Blogs, Wikis, Bubble Up, mind mapping.

Access Services interest group: Jason Dupree has a new position as head of Public Services at SWOSU, and is interested in forming an Access Services interest group. Lynn Wallace is also interested. It was suggested to contact Janet Croft at OU who is also an Access Services head, Beth Jones at OCU, and Deborah Thompson at UCO.

Conference Planning: Laura passed out list of last 10 conference topics. The group discussed topics. The speakers at the last conference really appreciated Tom's tour of Tulsa. Ona suggested library presence in course management systems as a topic. Mentoring was also discussed, and Tom mentioned a successful conference in the past on creativity by Puccio. Greying Librarians was also discussed as a topic. Cooperative ventures such as share cards was another topic, as was community outreach, examples being the Noon concerts at OSU libraries, Faculty lecture series at OSU Tulsa, and San Jose State sharing its web sites with the local public library. Everyone was encouraged to check the ALA website for possible speakers. The location should be central this year, perhaps OSU-OKC or OCCC.

Membership List: Laura got the national member list from Oklahoma from Megan Griffin (chapter liaison for ACRL) and gave it to Kim. Kim says there are problems with those who go to conference but don't say they want to be state members. The bylaws say state-only members pay $15 for the conference, and only the board members have to be national ACRL members. How do we bill the state-only members? Laura suggested asking people to pay, and said we have to pay an extra $22 to get the national list to prove people are national members. She will investigate.

Web Page: Jason has a new logo and color palate for the web design. He is sending out a re-design survey, showing it first to Exec. Board, then members and if we think it is OK he will make changes.

SurveyMonkey: Jason has paid for one individual account which can do 10 questions, and there is no charge for this registration. We must pay for an account allowing longer surveys. Laura will go to a SurveyMonkey workshop. The fee is $20 for a 100 response questionnaire, or $200 per year. We will wait until after the workshop to decide our course of action. Jason will be reimbursed for his costs for SurveyMonkey.

OLA presence: We will have a booth or table. Kay suggests we develop the brochure for the table. David is checking on the cost.

Incorporation as tax-free organization: Kiem noted that to be a 501C3 non taxable corporation we must implement a bylaws change, so we will be in line with national. There is a $300 fee to the IRS to do this. She will give a copy of the form, which she has filled out, to Laura.

Future meetings set: March 14, Edmond Public Library 1 p.m. Lottinville's for lunch.

April 11, possibly at Stillwater Public, with UCO as back up.

May 9, no location set.

Meeting adjourned, 3 p.m.

 


Minutes 2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

March 14, 2008
Edmond Public Library
Edmond, OK

 

Present: Laura Teske, Jason Cimock, Ona Britton, David Oberhelman, Barbara Miller, Beth Jones

December and February Minutes were approved with minor corrections. Barbara will send corrected versions to Jason Dupree to upload on the web site.

Treasurer's Report: We have a balance of $5246.05 as of February 29, 2008.

OLA Table: David has sent Kay Boies $45 to reserve a table for OKACRL at the spring OLA conference. The conference is April 22-23 in Tulsa. We need to sign up for shifts at April meeting. Everyone check the OLA schedule to see when they can do a shift at the table. COIL is planning a flyer for the booth, on COIL on wheels. We will also have membership forms, and maybe national ACRL buttons.

Membership: Kiem received 2 renewals and 6 student applications for membership. She will start working on the non-profit document. Who can help? The form asks for an address for the organization, and we need to check to see if we can use OSU since the archives are at OSU. We also may need to consult legal services or national ACRL. This may not help because Oklahoma ACRL is not part of OLA, and most state ACRL groups are part of their state professional organization.

Kiem suggested sending information to OCALD to forward to directors and their staff, to solicit membership. "Did you know that state ACRL membership is only $15 per year?" should be on the letter.

Laura needs to be added as a moderator to our web page so she can access the list of members and compare to the yahoo list serv list.

COIL - Jamie reported a good response to the new survey, 58 per cent. She has also sent out COIL on wheels information to the list.

Access services group - Jason Dupree reported that he is scheduling a meeting after spring break, has an agenda, and may coordinate to meet with VYEW.

Conference Topics - Security - President Webb at UCO has a conference on safety coming up. This is a popular topic.

Outreach - Development. - How can a library develop funding from alternate sources?

Networking, Physical Space, and policies are popular with both reference librarians and administration. Jason C. noted that space planning is relevant to security, this could be combined. We also use large Public Libraries like Metropolitan and how they do their security. Physical computer security is also important, as is physical safety. Everyone urged to look for speakers. Donna Morris, Debra Engel, Susan Gregory are all suggested.

NEXT MEETING: April 11, Stillwater Public Library. COIL will meet first at 9:30, then lunch at Eskimo Joe's, Exec. Board at 1 p.m.

 


Minutes 2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

April 11, 2008
Stillwater Public Library
Stillwater, OK

 

Present: Laura Teske, President; Beth Jones, Barbara Miller, Tom Thorisch, Jamie Holmes, Roy Degler, David Oberhelman, Jason Cimock, Jason Dupree, Kiem Ta, Ona Britton, Sarah Brick Archer (via distance).

Minutes: Minutes of March Meeting were approved with minor changes.

Treasurer's Report: Kiem reported a balance of $5376.05 as of April 10. Only about 10 people responded to the membership note, a very low response. Laura will send another note to OCALD looking for new members. Perhaps we could do more PR to get new members.

COIL Report: Jamie reported that the meeting that morning went well after technical glitches to add the distance attendees were solved. Next month technical people will arrive a half hour earlier to solve problems. Preliminary analysis of the new survey showed a higher response rate, 71, compared to 35 last time (2005). 38 of 50 colleges responded after the second letters went out. Stillwater OSU and ICCC were the only large schools not responding. Members will follow up with these schools and reopen the survey. - COIL on Wheels is moving along (ha, ha), and brochures are being prepared for the OLA conference. Ona is also working on an OK-ACRL brochure. The next COIL workshop is planned for July 25th at UCO, and will be instruction on various free tools such as Captivate and Camtasia. They will upload a free trial of Captivate and Camtasia for the day. There will be a May 23d meeting to discuss further workshop planning.

DSIG: Jamie hosted the March 27th, and many people logging in were library techs from the OU library school. Roy will organize the next meeting, perhaps using the WIKI to organize it. Next meeting is May 29th.

PASIG: New sub group of OK-ACRL for Access Services - Meeting held March 4, to discuss purpose, marketing ideas. They have a web site, @yourlibrary.com\pasig. VYEW will be used for distance attenndees. Most meetings will be virtual, maybe one per quarter in person.

Conference Planning: The Topic will be security, possible speakers include Warren Graham, the "Black Belt Librarian". Topics will include how to difuse situations. Barbara will contact Donna Morris about other possible speakers. Sara will look up a speaker from the Internet Librarian. Laura will check with ODL for speakers. Poster sessions will again be held, at least three for COIL, DSIG and PASIG. There will be no topic restrictions for posters.

Librarian Salaries: College and Research Library News reported that several state library associations did salary surveys and recommended minimum salaries for librarians. Jan Bryant, president of OLA, reported that OLA does not recommend salaries, but does do a salary survey. The group was not interested in pursuing the minimum salary request.

Web Page: Jason Cimock asked for comments on the web page. We can add a button to join the list serve from the web page, as we did for COIL's web page. Nothing yet is posted on the fall conference. Jason updated links to the sub groups, put sub sections in a seperate section from ARL and ALA. Jason added his email. Jason Dupree discussed the new ACRL logo, given by national ACRL for each chapter. He put a survey on the web page but only had 6 responses. Those responding want RSS feeds, a best practices section, publications by ACRL members, contact information. He will send out another note to respond.

Old Business - Incorporation: Kiem is ready to move forward, we do not need a lawyer to complete the incorporation as a tax free organization. We can use a post office box for our address, only $15-20 per year. Mail could be forwarded to the current president each year.

Membership: Laura is drafting a message to OCALD to encourage members to sign up. The group will put the membership list on the website like COIL does.

ACRL Brochure: Ona is working on this, and she will use the new LOGO. We will print about 200 or so, and the brochure may change before November and the conference. Ona will send the brochure file to Tom Thorisch, who can print them in color.

Next Meeting - May 9th, OSU Tulsa, meet for lunch at the Stone Horse Café in Utica Square.

Meeting adjourned - 3 p.m. Everyone hit the book sale at the Stillwater Public Library.

 


Minutes 2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

May 9, 2008
OSU-Tulsa Library
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: Laura Teske, President; Beth Jones, Barbara Miller, Tom Thorisch, Jamie Holmes, David Oberhelman, Jason Cimock, Kiem Ta, Ona Britton.

Treasurer's Report: Kiem Ta reported that ACRL made $5 last month, taking in $50 for memberships and paying $45 for a table at the OLA Conference. The COIL brochure was printed for free by Jamie, and the balance in the treasury is $5381.05.

COIL: Jamie displayed the COIL on Wheels handout at the OLA spring conference. The group agreed to send leftover brochures to OCALD, electronically also. The survey will be reopened to allow OSU Stillwater and Tulsa City County to respond to the college-directed part of the survey. These were the only two large schools who did not respond. The next COIL meeting will be switched to the UCO campus to allow everyone to review for the workshop. Jamie and Sarah Clark and Jason Dupree will present on electronic meetings at OLA leadership training on June 10. Jason Dupree's mentoring ideas were part of a national ACRL initiative.

DSIG: This group has not met since the last (March 27th) meeting. Roy Degler has a WIKI going for topics for the next meeting.

PASIG: Nothing new to report, although they did have a meeting to organize.

Workshop: The group discussed speakers and dates. David reported that Marian Mcreany Kahn, author of a new book on security, is an excellent speaker and is available both Nov. 12 and 14. We could get copies of her book to sell at the conference, and perhaps she could autograph them. David checked her consulting page, and she has several books out, in 2003, 2004 and the new one in 2008. We could put a review of her book in Oklahoma Librarian to drum up interest. Beth has a speaker from OU, the head of security for the Sam Noble History Museum, and Kiem has one from OSU IT relating to security - we could have these speakers speak for half of the day. Tom suggested we market this to all librarians, not just to OCALD. The group chose November 14 as a firm date.

NIH Open Access: Barbara reported on the updates for Open Access for all NIH funded journal articles. The group suggested she put the request for input on the list serv.

Incorporation: Everything is ready except getting a post office box. The smallest size is $28 for six months. Laura will take care of this in June. It was decided to have one person only with a key: the current president will have the key.

OLA Booth: Thank you to those who helped with the booth at the OLA Spring Conference. Many people stopped by and we had a lot of interest. The flag arrived late but looked good and we had a good location. Both the OK-ACRL and COIL brochures generated interest. Tom suggested for next year to make three dimensional and colorful banners, etc., and to put our "cheap" rates for membership on the flyers.

Meeting adjourned at 3 p.m. Next meeting July 11 in Stillwater (postponed from June).

 


Minutes 2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

July 11, 2008
Stillwater Public Library
Stillwater, OK

 

Present: Laura Teske, President; Barbara Miller, Secretary; Kiem Ta, Treasurer; Tom Thorisch, Jamie Holmes, Beth Jones, Jason Cimock, David Oberhelman.

Minutes of June Meeting approved with minor edits.

Conference Planning - Speakers for the event are confirmed. Miriam Kahn is confirmed, and charges $1000 plus transportation and two hotel nights: She probably will arrive late on the Thursday before the conference. The other speakers are local: Eric Maynard, Director of Security for IT at OSU, and David Dagg, security person for the Noble History Center in Norman. Mr. Maynard will speak on technical security and Mr. Dagg will speak on personal security and security with patrons and at the reference desk. David Oberhelman is the contact for Miriam Kahn, Kiem is the contact for Eric Maynard and Beth is the contact for David Dagg. Ms. Kahn's book is out and was available at ALA, so she probably will be talking about it at the conference (can we get copies to sell?). The plan is for Ms. Kahn to speak in the morning, and probably one or both of the others will speak in the afternoon, followed by Q and A sessions.

Poster sessions - the topics for poster sessions will be open, and not limited to security. The deadline for submission of proposals will be October 1. David will find the flyer from last year to advertise.

Laura noted that on November 13th, the night before the conference, there will be an "Oh, Dewey" presentation, so we should advertize this in case some people want to come the night before and stay over. As yet there is no conference hotel. Laura has sent a confirmation letter to Miriam Kahn so far, and will do the others soon. There is also no set lunch as yet, and we may do a dine around. The coffee server is there for breaks, and we will bring ice chests. We can create a list of what is needed for coffee and Laura will compare this to a coffee service.

Treasurer's Report: There is a balance of $5,249.74 as of June 30th.

COIL Workshop - Online registration is just to see which lunch preference you have, and most people will pay at the door of the workshop, with cash or check, or will send a P.O. to Kiem at OSU on or after the workshop. Jamie is asking the board how to pay for lunch at Jason's Deli, should she pay with credit card? Kiem is giving her a check for lunches, and for fruit and pastries. The $20 fee for the workshop will include $6-7 for lunch, paper handouts, and break food. Kate Corbett will bring trail mix and bring the receipts to Kiem. There will be 45 laptops in the library, and 20 extras being brought in in case we need them. AMIGOS donated 15 mikes, and Tom and Jamie each contributed 3. There is an option to purchase the mikes for $25. Included in the flyer will be tips for buying mikes or webcams. The schedule includes 8:30 registration followed by 15 minutes of announcements (the BLOG, and COIL on wheels, before the actual workshop begins. Only one hotel room is being held for the workshop. Jason will get an evaluation form on SurveyMonkey.

Other COIL news: Sara will do the public flyer for COIL, and Jason has Coil on Wheels moving. Jaime will publish on the Instruction survey in August. At the workshop we hope to recruit candidates for COIL officers.

DSIG - No information; they have had no meeting since March.

PASIG - (Beth reporting) .They met virtually yesterday - elected officers: Jason Dupree is chair. They will have another meeting on Sept. 11, a meet and greet meeting, and will pick topics for in- person meetings. The Board will allow $30-40 for the initial meeting of PASIG.

New Business: We need to get the names of officers of DSIG and PASIG on the OK ACRL web page.

If anyone has important stuff for ACRL from ALA please put it on the Blog.

Laura got a Post Office Box, for $21, no. 111. It is for the post officeno. 39 at Highway 44 and May Ave., and There are two keys, which cost $2. The President and President-elect will keep the keys. Kiem will review the document for tax free status and send it in, since we now have an address!

Ona asks us to send in suggestions for officers for the fall election.

Meeting adjourned at 2:50.

There will not be an August Meeting, but we will meet again Sept. 12th.

 


Minutes 2008
February
March
April
May
July
September

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

September 12, 2008
Oklahoma City University Library
Oklahoma City, OK

 

Present: Laura Teske, Ona Britton, Jason Cimock, David Oberhelman, Kiem Ta, Barbara Miller, Beth Jones.

Minutes - Approved as amended

Treasurer's Report - Balance of $4680 in account. The speaker for the conference (Miriam) has cashed her check for airfare. Purchase orders are still coming in for the COIL workshop. We spent about $400 on the workshop, and probably will make about a $100 profit after all money is in from purchase orders. The COIL group thought they had too much food, and had a lot left over from the breaks. Everyone suggested cutting down break food in the future. Also, the food at the lunch was more expensive and ate up any profits.

COIL - Chair of COIL was not present, but reports that their next meeting will be Sept. 26th at Rogers Univ. Exec. Board members reported on the successful workshop.

PASIG - Met on Sept. 11th at UCO. Six members came of the 8-10 who expressed interest in the group. This included 3 new members, from OU, Talequah and Durant. They are working on a virtual meeting system, VYEW is not really working. They might try AIRSET, which has virtual space with options for blogs, wikis and instant messaging. You can also edit in real time. It is freeware but there are limitations. They asked whether OK ACRL could purchase web space for the site. Beth mentioned that we need to make sure the chair of PASIG is invited to the Exec. Board Meetings.

Conference - The speakers will be Miriam Kahn and David Dagg. Laura reported that Miriam will arrive at 11:30 on Thursday, and can join the group for dinner that night. National ACRL can provide promo materials and books of Miriam's to sell. Laura will contact them about the materials and get an update on the membership list by early October. We will probably get about 20 books. The Dewey show which was to have been on Thursday night has now been moved to Nov. 11, so we will not promote it as a pre-event to the conference. The group worked out a preliminary schedule for the conference proceedings. Laura will contact Miriam on her performance for the second half presentation, which will involve audience interaction. The Hawthorne Hotel is a good price and Laura will reserve 5 rooms for Thursday night. She will also see if Miriam needs a car. Lunch will be a dine around, so we need to have at least an hour and a quarter. We will have our October meeting at Rose State to look over the conference rooms. Laura will check on the coffee service at Rose, and we will limit the food for breaks, probably Dunkin Donuts in the morning. The group decided on a title for the conference: "How Secure is your Security? Prevention, Planning and Response in your library" The cost of the conference will be $50 for ACRL members and $65 for non members, with students at $25. We also need folders and pens for the conference.

Elections - We need a ballot ready by October 1st. Ona has two candidates so far, one for each office. There was discussion over whether losers of the election could be appointed to member-at-large positions on the Board. This might require a Bylaws change.

Posters - Deadline is October 7th, topics are open, you do not have to stick to the security theme. The actual wording on the poster announcement will be "those submitting posters before October 7th will be given first consideration".

New Business - Megan Griffin is the contact for ACRL Chapter allocations, and the national group usually will send us $100. The question arose on whether we have to have 501(c)(3) status first. Kiem noted that it will take 3 months and about $300 to get the status. We also need $22 to get the excel copy of current OK ACRL members.

BLOG - Every one reminded to contribute to the blog!!!

Next Meeting: October 10 at Rose State.

Meeting adjourned at 3:05.

 

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

 

Last Update: 7 November 2008
Comments to: jason.dupree@swosu.edu
URL http://okacrl.okstate.edu/minutes08.htm