Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

OK-ACRL Board Meeting Minutes
2009

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

February 13, 2009
OU-Tulsa
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: Dona Davidson, Toni Hoberecht, Ona Lou Britton, Laura Teske, Robin Leech, David Oberhelman, Beth Jones, Amanda Lemon, Jason Cimock

Minutes: There were no minutes for December.

Treasurer's Report: We made a few hundred dollars from last year's conference. We will get an official report from Kiem soon.

COIL: Amanda reported that the first meeting of the year will be on Friday, Feb. 27th in Tulsa. The meeting will entail a legal research class for those in attendance. The Skill Inventories Survey for the COIL on Wheels program has been distributed to the listserv several times and has received some repsonses.

DSIG: Robin is planning on convening a meeting sometime in the spring. The meeting topic will cover ADA compliance and web pages. The meeting will take place at OSU-Stillwater. Roy Degler has been overseeing the CollectiveX virtual meeting space.

PASIG: Beth reported the group met on Jan. 15th, 2009, and discussed having a presence in the OLA booth. Mystery shopping and training students was also discussed. The next meeting will take place Mar. 5th, 2009.

Conference Planning:

Conference Topic - Several potential topics were discussed, such as marketing, digitization, marketing digital resources, marketing the library's importance within university administration. There was a consensus that marketing would work well as a theme for the conference.

Speakers - It was mentioned that every three years we are supposed to be able to get the ACRL president to speak at the conference. Ona and Robin will be attending the ACRL national conference and will be on the lookout for potential speakers. Laura and Beth will be attending MPLA and will also be on the lookout for potential speakers. Also discussed was the possibility of having the OK-ACRL interest groups conduct panel sessions on marketing, each focusing on their respective areas.

Venue - The group decided it would be best to have the conference in the Tulsa area. Toni suggested the conference be held at OU-Tulsa. OSU-Tulsa was discussed as a backup. Toni will check to see if OU-Tulsa could accommodate the conference. The group decided the first week of November would be the ideal time for the conference.

New Business:

Possible change to bylaws regarding officers - Ona proposes changing the bylaws so that we still get a slate of candidates still hold an election, but if the loser/s of the election wish to become members-at-large, they can do so. The member-at-large would be a one-year position. Ona will look over the bylaws to see what is possible and report back next meeting.

OLA Presence - David talked to Kay Boies of OLA about getting a table at the OLA conference. There is an exhibitor form on OLA's website to fill out. It will cost $50 to have an official table.

Dona offered to print out a poster for the OK-ACRL booth at OLA if someone creates the poster in Microsoft Publisher. Beth suggested we might put our possible conference topic on the poster. Ona suggested Ben at UCO could design the poster. Toni also suggested there is a group called UT 3rd Floor designs who does free design work for nonprofit organizations. Toni will investigate on this possibility and report back.

David mentioned the idea of creating an OK-ACRL Flickr account to store conference and event photos. Laura has offered to create the Flickr account.

Dona suggested offering a drawing with a ticket for free conference registration to the OK-ACRL conference as a prize at the OLA booth. She has offered to create a signup sheet.

Change date for next meeting - The Next meeting date was changed to Friday, Mar. 6th, 2009. The proposed location for the meeting will be at Edmond Pubilc Library. Ona will check to see if a meeting room is available. Rose State will serve as a backup location.

Friday, Apr. 10th will be the date of our April meeting. The location has yet to be determined. OU-Tulsa was mentioned as a possibility.

Reminding members to renew their state membership - Last year an email was sent out to non-ACRL members reminding them to renew. A similar reminder will be sent out this year.

Poll membership about joining interest groups - Robin will get names for the DSIG group. Along with reminding state members to renew, included in the email will be a description of our interest sections.

Meeting adjourned at 2:40 PM.

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

March 6, 2009
Rose State College
Midwest City, OK

 

Present: Amanda Lemon, Toni Hoberecht, Ona Lou Britton, Dona Davidson, Robin Leech, Jason Dupree, Beth Jones, Laura Teske, Jason Cimock

Approval of Minutes for January: Minutes accepted as amended

Treasurer's Report: There were a total of 41 participants for the Fall 2008 conference. As of January 31, 2009, there is $5,673.79 in the bank account.

COIL: Amanda reported COIL had a meeting last week at the Tulsa Univeristy Law Library. July 17th, 2009 will be the date of the upcoming summer workshop. The theme of the workshop will be participatory learning.

COIL requests money to make promotional materials, such as buttons, to hand out at the upcoming OLA conference, as well as other events. Amanda will investigate pricing and report back with price quotes. The board will tentatively allot $200 per interest group for promotional materials. Beth suggested we get ribbons denoting the different interest groups. The next COIL meeting will be the first Friday in May.

DSIG: A meeting covering ADA compliance and web pages is still in the works, but no official date has been set. Robin is considering broadcasting the meeting virtually to remote locations.

PASIG: The group is also requesting money for promotional materials. Met yesterday at Oklahoma City University. The OK-ACRL web site has been updated with information about PASIG.

Conference Planning:

Possible space for fall conference (OU Tulsa) - The large auditorium at OU Tulsa seats 200 and would most likely be available. It's still unclear whether or not the university will charge a fee to use the facility. The board will tentatively set the conference for either the first or second Friday in November. Toni will report back with more information about the auditorium at OU Tulsa, such as catering services, breakout rooms, and fees. Toni will see if we can have the PR representative from OU Tulsa to come to speak to the board at the next meeting.

Report from Dona - Dona suggested Lauren Burnett as a possible speaker. Lauren has a marketing background. She is certified business-success coach and can speak on a number of issues, such as communication, image revitalization, coaching, and other communication-related topics. The address for her web site is: http://rechargeyourspirit.com/index.html Dona will investigate Lauren further.

Report from Jason D. - Jason had attended an AMIGOS conference and went to a session about designing a marketing plan for libraries, both public and academic. The session was titled "Can Libraries Be Sold Like Soap?" and was taught by Mary Evangeliste, Director of User Services and Outreach at Gettysburg College and Co-Founder, Fearless Future: Marketing for Things That Matter, and Yvonne Mery, Assistant Librarian, Undergraduate Services Team, University of Arizona Library. Of the two, Jason felt that Mary was the more outspoken, lively of the two. Ona will contact the two speakers for more information.

Potential local speakers - Several individuals were mentioned as potential local speakers: Jason Dupree from SWOSU, Robin Leech from OSU, Victoria Swinney from OCU, Gwen Dobbs from UCO.

New Business:

Discuss LinkedIn (professional networking site) - Laura has spoken with Lauren Donaldson about creating an organizational presence on the social networking site. The board agreed it would be good to have a presence. Laura will speak with Lauren again.

Flickr - Ona will give Laura pictures from the creativity conference. Laura will need help labeling some of the photographs.

Old Business:

OLA Presence
Update on OK-ACRL poster for OLA - Toni has contacted 3rd Floor designs, and the board has been assigned a student representative. The board can get a poster printed for $9-12. Toni will send us some possible designs via the listserv and the board can decide on which we like best. The plan is to do a 3-panel board. One panel will be dedicated to the interest groups. Beth suggested the panels contain information about joining the groups and other contact information. Ona suggested we put photographs from the conference on the poster as well.

Update on all other OLA preparations - Dona has created signup sheets for the drawing. We will send an email to all the people who entered the drawing and announce the winner, as well as promote our fall conference. The board will conduct the drawing at the May meeting.

Kiem Ta - Kiem suggests the board come up with a better way to keep track of the membership and who has paid dues. Since Kiem is absent from the meeting, the board will postpone discussion until the next meeting.

Next Meetings

April 10th - OU Tulsa
May 8th - Will decide at next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 2 PM.

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

May 8, 2009
Tulsa Community College
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: Toni Hoberecht, David Oberhelman Robin Leech, Kiem Ta, Dona Davidson, Ona Britton, Amanda Lemon

Approval of Minutes for April: Minutes Accepted

Treasurer's Report: Bank statement $5,345.25

After today, Kiem will send a check to Jason Dupree (PASIG) for $230.

Ona inquired about UCO payment for her and Jason for the most recent OKACRL conference. Kiem will look into it to make sure OKACRL got their money.

Robin inquired about the OLA table fee. OKACRL has not received a bill yet. Ona will contact Kay of OLA for more information.

COIL

The COIL Summer Workshop will be on Friday, July 17th from 9am to 3:30pm at NSU-Muskogee's campus at 2400 W. Shawnee in Muskogee, Oklahoma. The workshop theme is participatory learning. COIL is currently asking for presentation proposals (100 word max) till Friday, May 29th at 5pm. Chosen presenters will be notified by Friday, June 5th.

Kiem asked that PO orders go to COIL before her and inquired about postage for advertising. As of right now, COIL plans no mailing advertisements, etc.

DSIG

When Robin attended MPLA, she met Ann Pierce. Ann did a presentation about Accessibility/Web Presence. Robin will ask her to come for a DSIG meeting or an OLA/UCD/MPLA meeting.

Robin asked about travel expenses and what other groups and OKACRL had done in the past.

David O. suggested charging a higher registration fee so that travel expenses could be reimbursed.

Registration suggestion was $20 to $30

PASIG

No report

Conference Planning

Facility: Room reservations - Ona asked if we should schedule all 3 of the rooms outside of the Auditorium: the Chat Room, and 2 of the study rooms (but not the super small study room).

Ona will inform Lauren Burnett of the spaces available and see what Lauren might be planning on doing with these spaces.

There will not be a room fee because Susan Hayes from TCC is sponsoring. The group decided that we will need to buy a Susan Hayes a thank you gift.

Speaker details: Lauren is fine w/ a $1000 fee plus travel expenses.

Poster sessions: David suggests a call for submissions for poster session topics should be sent out sometime in August or September with an October deadline. The group must still decide if the poster session topics must be directly related to the conference topic or not.

Dining: For lunch, we will conduct a dine around to various local restaurants surrounding the TCC campus.

Drawing for free conference registration: Ona will draw a name from the box we had at the OLA booth and the winner will receive free registration for the conference in November.

Conducting meetings virtually: Polycom (send out IP number - plug in IP number at UCO, Rose State, etc.)

PolyCom locations:
Tulsa area- OSU-Tulsa
OKC- either UCO or Rose
Stillwater- OSU

Lodging: Ona will make room reservations at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Advertising: Ona and Amanda will take the names from the OLA box and create membership listing to advertise the conference and OKACRL. David asked Ona to upload names from box that were national members into the OKACRL membership listserv

OLA Conference Wrap-Up

Toni mentioned meeting the ACRL rep. Kara at OLA. Toni asked Kara about getting a larger ACRL Logo (she took down Toni's email address but Toni hasn't heard from her yet). So far, there is no cost associated with the ACRL poster we had done for OLA. Toni hasn't received an invoice, and Toni did the mounting at her husband's studio for free. Toni also pointed out that we can use poster up to Fall 2009 because of the conference mention on the posterboard.

The board may decided to conduct the next meeting via Polycom.

Potential meeting dates:
June 12th - OLA Leadership retreat (June 5th)
Virtual meeting - June 19th

Meeting adjourned at 3:03 pm.

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

June 19, 2009
OSU-Tulsa, OSU-Stillwater, Rose State College (PolyCom meeting)
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: O. Britton, R. Leech, L. Teske, B. Jones, D. Oberhelman, D. Davidson, T. Hoberecht
Absent: J. Cimock, J. Dupree, A. Lemon, K. Ta

Minutes for May were approved with amendments by Robin, seconded by David.
Treasurer's Report

Interest Groups Report

COIL - Amanda sent a report via Ona with an update on the unCOILed Workshop taking place in Muskogee on July 17th. She reported that most details were settled. She requested $285 from OKACRL to cover the initial expenses. She reported that COIL would make a profit on the workshop if at least 30 people attended.

DSIG - No report.

PASIG - PASIG recently had an in person meeting with about 11 attendees interested in doing their own break-out session at the OK-ACRL annual conference. It was the consensus that it was too late for this year, but a great idea for next year. PASIG may have their own dine around at the OK-ACRL annual conference and that posters sponsored by PASIG may have their own section at conference.

Conference Planning

Update on Lauren Burnett: Ona reported that she had contacted Lauren Burnett regarding what she needed for the conference. Burnett indicated she could do her presentation with big Post-It paper or flip charts. Ona said she would work on the big windows if TCC agreed. The board agreed they could purchase pads and other supplies as needed. Suzanne Haynes has reserved the big chat room and two other rooms for the board as well as the desk for registration. Ona will contact her about plug-ins in the atrium for poster sessions.

The discussion turned to poster sessions. The board discussed when to put out a notice for the sessions and talked about whether or not they should pertain to marketing. They decided to wait till the next meeting to hammer out some details.

Draw for free conference attendance: The board drew for the free conference attendance and Misty Smith from OSU won! Ona said she would inform her officially via email.

Update on conference hotel: Ona has reserved rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn next to TCC for the conference rate of $99.00 per night. David said Kiem could reserve these on the ACRL credit card, and Ona will get in touch with Kiem to get the credit card number.

Dona suggested a Dine-Around for the conference lunch.

New Business

Electronic Ballots. David mentioned that OLA is moving to electronic ballots and thought OK-ACRL should follow suit. Ona agreed to investigate the by-laws and draft a change proposal for the fall conference.

Next meeting
The board decided to skip the July meeting because we are well along on conference planning and due to various scheduling conflicts.
Next meeting will be Friday, August 7th at OSU
Adjourn

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

August 7, 2009
OSU-Stillwater
Stillwater, OK

 

Present: A. Lemon, R. Leech, D. Oberhelman, K. Ta, T. Hoberecht, D. Davidson, J. Cimock
Absent: O. Britton, B. Jones, J. Dupree, L. Teske

Treasurer's Report: Balance 5094.42; 2 individuals still haven't paid for the Coil workshop
Gross from workshop: 630 Net: 367.30

Interest Groups Report

a. COIL - Conference workshop was held on July 17, 2009. Received psotive feedback. Next meeting Friday, Sept. 26th, 1 PM, at Rose State.

b. DSIG - No report for DSIG. Looking for a new person to take over leadership of the group.

c. PASIG - Jason D. has sent a report.

Conference Planning

a. Decide on a conference name: Market Share: A Blueprint for You and Your Library

b. Poster Session: Open topic, open to anyone who wants to participate, submissions were distributed over the listserv; deadline for submissions Oct. 1; try to set up call for posters Sept. 1; announce the conference soon; next week? Looking to procure a graphic designer to send out a polished announcement; the board wants to see if Lauren Burnett can provide a picture and a bio; also need an agenda from Lauren

c. Lauren Burnett travel plans — Need Ona to finalize these plans, as well as to set a final agenda; hotel for Lauren has been reserved; not certain about airfare; Ona needs to ask if Lauren is a vegetarian in order to decide where to take her to dinner the night before the conference

New Business

a. Generic Announcement — the board decided we should send out a vague "save the date" announcement to the membership listserv.

b. Online Registration — the board will contact J. Dupree about creating an online registration form

c. Gift for the speaker — Ona needs to get a gift for the speaker

d. Possible candidates for open positions

e. Bylaw changes discussion regarding election losers to serve as board members

Old Business

a. Modify bylaws for electronic voting — The board agrees with Ona's proposed language and will have the membership vote on the proposed change of bylaws

Next meetings

a. September 11th — Polycom, Edmond Public

b. October 9th — TCCC

Meeting adjourned at 2:38 PM

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

October 16, 2009
Tulsa Community College
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: O. Britton, L. Teske, B. Jones, J. Cimock
Absent: R. Leech, D. Oberhelman, K. Ta, J. Dupree, T. Hoberecht, A. Lemon, D. Davidson

Treasurer's Report: No Treasurer's Report

Interest Group Report

COIL - COIL elections for Co-Chair and Secretary are still going on (election ends October 31st). We will be announcing the election winners at our next COIL meeting which is slated for Friday, December 11th at Rogers State University in Claremore, OK.

Sarah Clark will be the new incoming COIL Chair so her email will need to be added to the OKACRL board listserv after then.

COIL submitted a poster session for the Fall OKACRL conference.

There is a COIL on Wheels session (over tutorials) slated for February at OSU-Tulsa. Tom Thorisch is working with Toni Hoberecht — the group leader for this CoW session — on the details and date. When we have specifics, we will make an announcement as Tom would like this session to be open to anyone in the area who would like to attend.

As mentioned previously, the next COIL meeting will be Friday, December 11th (more details i.e. lunch location to come) at Rogers State University in Claremore.

DSIG - No DSIG report.

PASIG - No PASIG report. Next meeting in November.

Conference Planning

Site Visit — Board requested tables set out in registration area for poster sessions. We also requested a microphone be set up for the presenter. Food will be set up near the conference area. Panel dividers will need to be set up to cordon off the room.

Approve Poster Sessions — The board approved all of the poster sessions submitted. Presenters will be notified.

Packet Contents — The packets will contain a copy of the agenda, the bylaws change proposal, a dine around map, blank paper, evaluations, presenter bio, pens, and the presenter's packet. Dona believes she can procure free folders and pens.

Food and Drink for Conference — We will have 5 gallons of coffee, 4 dozen doughnuts, a cooler, 3 cases of water, ice fruit tray, 2 dozen cookies, and Kate's trail mix.

Supplies for Conference — Kiem will be printing off nametags. Ona will check in OKACRL supply box to make sure everything is there. We need to make sure we have receipt book and nametag holders.

Gifts for Lauren Burnett and Suzanne Haynes — The board decided to purchase $30 dollar Best Buy card gift cards for both of them.

Dinner Plans for Evening Before Conference — The board decided on Red Rock Canyon Grill near the Aquarium in Jenks. Ona will call to see about reservations for 6:30 PM.

Next Meeting

December 11 — Christmas Meeting in OKC Bricktown; will investigate newer restaurants and Abuelo's will be backup.

Meeting adjourned at 3 PM.

 


Minutes
2009
February
March
May
June
August
October
November

Minutes Home

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries

Annual Conference Business Meeting
November 7, 2009
Tulsa Community College
Tulsa, OK

 

Present: O. Britton, L. Teske, R. Leech, A. Lemon, K. Ta, J. Cimock, B. Jones, D. Oberhelman, T. Hoberecht, D. Davidson, J. Dupree

Opening Comments: Ona introduced the board, then gave special thanks to Suzanne Haynes for all the assistance with conference site preparation.

Bylaws Change: Ona provided a summary of the bylaws change concerning paper ballots. The proposed changes would allow the board to conduct elections electronically. All were in favor of the proposal and the change was adopted.

Legislative Issues: Barbara Miller discussed recent legislation being proposed in congress and encouraged members to contact their representatives.

Business meeting adjourned at 9:30 AM.

 

back Return to OK-ACRL homepage

 

Last Update: 25 January 2010
Comments to: jason.dupree@swosu.edu
URL http://okacrl.okstate.edu/minutes09.htm