Minutes
1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

OK-ACRL Board Meeting Minutes
1997

line

Oklahoma Chapter-Assoc. of College and Research Libraries
January 10, 1997
Rose State University Library, Rm 116

MINUTES

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, Presdient-Elect
Victoria Swinney, Past-President
Beverly Jones, Treasurer

Absent: Melissa Cast-Secretary, Thomas Thorisch, Mary Evans, Robert Patterson, Laura Bottom-OBIC Rep., Sharon Saulmon-OLA Univ. College Div.

-Previous minutes approved (Correction made to change spelling of Sharon's last name)

-Newsletter Report: Thomas communicated through Steve asking if there was any interest by anyone else putting together the newsletter or helping as co-editor.

-Treasurer's Report: Current balance is $2,521.47

-OBIC Report: No report

-MPLA/OLA Conference: Steve reported that Kay Boies stated a price for a booth at MPLA/OLA Conference has not yet been set. A motion was made by Victoria for a maximum of $50 be allocated for the rental of a booth at the conference set for April 30 - May 3. Motion was seconded and approved.

After some discussion, it was agreed that an open membership meeting would be an ideal way to meet other academic librarians from inside and outside the state and discuss mutual problems and solutions. Steve volunteered to contact Kay Boies to see if a brown bag lunch table talk could be arranged for Thursday or Friday, or perhaps an evening table talk on Thursday.

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College & Research Libraries
February 14, 1997
Rose State University Library, Rm 116

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch
Mary Evans
Victoria Swinney, Past President
Robert Patterson

Absent: Beverly Jones, Treasurer; Laura Bottoms, OBIC
Chair; Sharon Saulmon, OLA Univ. College Div.;
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President-Elect

Previous Minutes: Minutes were approved after the Treasurer's Report was added to include a current balance of $2521.47.

Treasurer's Report: No report.

Newsletter: Confirmed that Thomas Thorisch is still the newsletter editor. Melissa Cast will assist in networking.

The next issue will include an introduction from the new President and news from around the state.

OBIC Report: The next OBIC meeting is scheduled for February 28th at Tulsa Community College. Leann Berger from Rogers will speak on "The Gentle Art of Listening"

MPLA/OLA Conference: We are still waiting for exhibit packet from Kay Boies. We do a have an evening table talk scheduled for Friday afternoon from 5:00p.m. to 6:00p.m.

FALL CONFERENCE: Discussed further the topic suggested by Bob Patterson: the convergence of libraries and technology. The topic could be looked at from three viewpoints: 1) a campus organizational point of view; 2) the internal organization of the library; and 3) what it means to the individual librarian.

Swinney voiced concern that we make sure to keep the topic accessible to all library staff and not just the administrators who are in positions to make the changes.

We will continue the discussion via e-mail in order to begin the call for participants at the March meeting and newsletter.

OTHER BUSINESS: Agreed to post minutes and newsletter on Locy's homepage.

Certificates of Appreciation are done. Locy will sign and distribute them.

Special thank you to Victoria Swinney's mother for the wonderful cookies.

Next meeting will be held on March 14 (Friday) at Rose State University, Library, Rm. 116 at 1:00pm.

Submitted by
Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College & Research Libraries
March 14, 1997
Rose State University Library, Rm 116.

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President-elect
Beverly Jones, Treasurer
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Laura Bottoms, OBIC
Sharon Saulmon
Thomas Thorisch
Bob Patterson
Victoria Swinney

Absent: Mary Evans

Previous Minutes: Approved. Minutes are posted at http://www.library.okstate.edu/dept/hss/locy/acrl.

Treasurer's Report: Previous month's balance: $2,521.47
Expenditures: 93.40
Deposits: 200.00
Current balance: 2,628.07

Jeanette McQuitty, OLA Treasurer, has asked what us what to do about the lost check. Cast will ask her to cancel the check and issue a new one.

Newsletter Report: It was decided to continue to send the newsletter to everyone on the mailing list. Jones will supply a list of official members at the next meeting.

Newsletter is a little thin so Cast will resend the request for news. Currently it includes a letter from the President, an ad for the archive position at OU and an ad for the chapter's unused impact printer.

OBIC Report: The last meeting was held at the Southeast Campus of Tulsa Community College and the topic was the "Art of Listening". The next meeting is scheduled for June 6, 1997. Possible location is OU to learn about their gateway project.

OLA Conference: We will have an exhibit booth at OLA and a sign up sheet will be passed around next meeting for manning the booth. Signs explaining membership will be made for when the booth is unattended. National ACRL brochures, membership forms and copies of the bylaws will be available. We will also again have a drawing for free registration to the Fall Conference.

Fall Conference: Discussed the two possible topics for the Fall Conference: 1) merging libraries and computing and 2) changes to the library's internal organization as a result of technology. It was decided to focus the conference to just one topic and that the focusing in on the internal changes of libraries is a topic that would appeal to all library personnel. Afternoon breakout sessions could deal with issues such as the cultural human factor, training, and outsourcing. The unofficial title is "Information technology (IT) impacting librarians and libraries".

Other business: We need to recognize Dona Davidson for her service as OK-ACRL Secretary in 1995.

The deadline for funds for developing programs for paraprofessionals is extended.

Saulmon needs to be reimbursed for speaker's dinner from the Fall Conference.

Patterson suggested future discussion of merging OK-ACRL with OLA and the University & College Division.

Jones suggested future discussion on creating an index to Oklahoma publications not indexed. She will write a proposal.

Again thanks to Victoria Swinney's mother for the cookies.

Next meeting will be held on April 18th at Tulsa University at 1:00p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Cast, Treasurer

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College & Research Libraries
April 25, 1997
Tulsa University, Special Collections, Satin Room

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Beverly Jones, Treasurer
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Laura Bottoms, OBIC
Thomas Thorisch
Bob Patterson
Victoria Swinney

Absent: Mary Evans
Sharon Saulmon
Rhonda Harris Taylor

Previous Minutes: Approved. Minutes are posted at http://www.library.okstate.edu/dept/hss/locy/acrl.

Treasurer's Report: Previous month's balance: $2,628.07
Expenditures: 169.83
Deposits: 65.00
Current balance: $2,523.24

Treasurer also submitted a listing of all the OK-ACRL members and whether indicating whether they are members of OLA and/or ALA.

Newsletter Report: Beverly Jones received the returned newsletters and will remove those names from the mailing list.

Next issue is due in mid-June. The contact list needs to be updated.

OBIC Report: The next meeting is scheduled for May 23, 1997 at OU to learn about their Gateway project.

OLA Conference: Items completed include: slips for drawing for free Fall Conference registration; two signs entitled "If you are an ALA-ACRL member..." and "If you are not an ALA-ACRL member..."; copy of by-laws; and banner. National ACRL brochures are ordered. Booth registration is paid for and there will be a sign up sheet for manning the booth.

Fall Conference: The Fall Conference date is tentatively set for Nov. 7th. Phil Moss is scheduled to speak. Shelley Phipps is unavailable but will look for an alternative speaker at Arizona. Other possible speakers include Don Riggs at the University of Michigan's library school, Maureen Sullivan who is involved in many different library activities, and Tom Shaughnessy at the University of Minnesota Library.

Several options were discussed for the format of the Fall Conference. 1) Three speakers in the morning - Phil Moss, someone from Arizona and a third speaker with a broader, more visionary scope. The afternoon session would be either a panel discussion of state library professionals or break out sessions divided according to the 3 morning speeches.

2) Two speakers and a reactor panel in the morning. Phil Moss would speak to what is happening in the state. The second speaker would deal with the big picture around the country, what's being done elsewhere and articulate the biggest trends (for example, shrinking resources, distance learning). The reactor panel would be made up of various library professionals with representatives from administration, public services and technical services. The afternoon would consist of break out sessions divided according to the major trends from the morning sessions.

All agreed on the second option.

For the conference site, we will check with Sharon Saulmon at Rose State and with OSU-OKC.

Other business: Rhonda Harris Taylor submitted a proposal for the National ACRL Professionals in Academic Libraries Award. Proposal was approved with two amendments: winners will also receive OK-ACRL chapter membership and that the section describing the Fall Conference be changed to reflect the change in the format agreed upon earlier in the meeting today.

Jeanette McQuitty will ask for approval to reissue the check from OLA to us minus the check cancellation fee.

Regarding the question of merging with OLA's University and College Division, Patterson asked if anyone knew how much overlap there was between the two organizations. It was reported that there seems to be little active participation within the University and College Division. Concerns for a merger included increased paperwork, red tape, financial pressure to at least break even on projects, and higher dues. It was agreed to survey the OK-ACRL members and informally discuss it with OLA officials.

Jones presented a proposal to produce an index of Oklahoma-related publications. It included a list of tentative titles and the questions involved. A similar index is part of a job description at OLA, although the publications would probably be only Oklahoma State publications. Nothing is being done on the index at the present time. The position has recently become empty and the index is probably not a high priority. Oregon is doing something similar as a cooperative arrangement between the state library and librarians around the state. Three options were presented: 1) to let ODL do it and it will probably be only Oklahoma State publications; 2) create an OK-ACRL subcommittee to look into our group doing it; and 3) go back to ODL, express our interest and what we want to see in the index.

Next meeting will be June 6th. The meeting place will be announced.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Cast, Secretary

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College & Research Libraries
June 6, 1997
OSU, Edmon Low Library, 2nd floor Conference Room

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President-elect
Beverly Jones, Treasurer
Laura Bottoms, OBIC Chair
Charles Brooks, OLA-UCD
Thomas Thorisch
Mary Evans
Victoria Swinney, Past President
Robert Patterson

Previous Minutes: Minutes were approved.

Treasurer's Report: Beginning balance: $2,523.24
Deposits: 165.20
Expenditures: 35.00
Balance: $2653.44

Newsletter: The next issue will come out the 3rd week of June. It will cover the Fall Conference, a call for participants for the reactor panel, information regarding the next OBIC meeting and the proposal from the Council of Oklahoma Academic Library Directors to the Regents.

OBIC Report: OBIC met May 23rd at OU to learn about their Gateway Program for freshman retention. A couple of the OU librarians serve as instructors in small sessions. They also demonstrated their Web Page instruction for their group.

Next meeting will be held at Tulsa University, on September 26th. Charles Brooks will demonstrate their Web Page instruction.

Post MPLA/OLA Conference: Four ALA members signed up at the booth. Only one person showed for the Friday, 5:30pm Members meeting. Various reasons for low turn out were discussed - lack of rooms and times, being out of the loop when it came time to register for room and time, OLA Members meeting was still going on at 5:30pm, etc. It was suggested that next year we reconsider having a booth.

FALL CONFERENCE: ACRL Speakers's Program may provide up to $750 for a speaker, either Maureen Sullivan or a member from the ACRL board. We should hear next week.

Rose State was chosen as the conference site.

It was decided that the format would be the following:

8:30am - 9:30am Registration
9:00am - 9:45am Phil Moss
9:45am - 10:30am National ACRL Organization Speaker
10:30am - 10:45am Break
10:45am - 12:15pm Reactor Panel (one representative from each group: library director, reference, tech services, serials)
12:15pm - 1:30pm Lunch
1:30pm - 2:30pm Break Out sessions with the reactor panelists
2:30pm - 3:00pm Wrap up

The Panelists will facilitate the Break Out sessions and should focus the sessions on their positions and encourage the group to look at the national issues involved. The Break Out groups should develop proposals/suggestions for Phil Moss and the National ACRL Speaker to take back to the Regents and to ALA-ACRL.

The title of the conference will be Information Technology Challenging Libraries and Librarians.

OTHER BUSINESS: Rhonda Harris Taylor's proposal for the paraprofessional grant was approved by ACRL for a funding of $600. We will need to advertise the award in the next newsletter and include an application form. Deadline will be Sept. 30th.

The winner of the drawing for free registration to the Fall Conference is Jan Ferris of Rogers University - Claremore Campus.

The Board discussed the pros and cons of merging with OLA's University and College Division. Charles Brooks served as representative of OLA-UCD and felt that since it would not be a simple merger that it should be discussed with the OLA Board. He felt there might be a conflict with between OBIC and OLA's Library Education Division (which will be meeting soon to determine its mission). Bottoms also expressed interest where OBIC members would fit in OLA. Would the OBIC members be required to join OLA?

One option might not be a merger but work on developing a closer relationship between the two organizations.
Pros mentioned to the merger - More clout in the state We would be in the loop within OLA
Concerns mentioned - Membership fees OLA's policy that conferences must make money

It was decided that the next step would be to meet with OLA informally and determine what is expected on their divisions and perhaps request that OLA create a subcommittee to meet with and OK-ACRL subcommittee.

Also we need to survey the OK-ACRL members in the September issue. Locy will write a pro and con essay on the issue. Additionally, it was suggested to contact the National ACRL to learn what relationships currently exist between state ACRL groups and state library associations.

Kay Boies would like ACRL and OBIC meeting information for the OLA Calendar of library events.

It was suggested that OK-ACRL sponsor a message board at OLA next year.

Next meeting will be July 11, 1997 at Weatherford. The group will meet at 11:30am for lunch and then meet afterwards.

Submitted by
Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
July 11, 1997
Al Harris Library, Southwestern Oklahoma State University

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President elect
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Beverly Jones, Treasurer
Bob Patterson
Thomas Thorisch
Laura Bottoms, OBIC Chair

Absent: Charles Brooks
Mary Evans

Previous Minutes: Minutes were approved.

Treasurer's Report: Beginning balance $2,653.44
Deposits 35.00
Expenditures 143.52
Balance $2,544.92

Checked membership list and only 8 members are not members of OLA or ALA. Jones will check to see how many OK-ACRL members are OLA members.

Newsletter: Thorisch will submit information to Laurie Sabal of the National ACRL for the Fall issue of Chapter Topics.

The OBIC Chair will be added to the list of OK-ACRLlahoma Officers in the newsletter.

OBIC: The next meeting will be September 26, 1997 at Tulsa University. Charles Brooks will discuss library instruction and the World Wide Web.

UCD/OLA: UCD met Thursday. Charles Brooks sent an e-mail reporting the issues raised. While a few were not in favor, many members expressed cautious interest. Their issues were:
- the two groups have slightly different agendas
- part of UCD's major purpose is to make money for OLA,
meaning that a conference must a least break even to be held. - what are the mechanics for a merger
Kay Boies sent copies of OLA's bylaws and offered to meet if there are any questions.

Elisa Topper from National ACRL replied to our request for information that we were taking the right steps to investigate a possible merger. Locy will request further and more specific information from her regarding which states have had recent mergers.

It was agreed to form a Cooperative Task Force with UCD representatives. ACRL members should be current or former Board members.

Fall Conference: Harris Taylor reported that we have received one application for the Paraprofessional Award. She will distribute the award announcements around the state.

We haven't heard back from ACRL about a speaker. Locy will call them Monday. If ACRL doesn't work out, Locy may contact Richard Madaus.

We're still looking for volunteers for the Reactor Panel and Break Out Groups. Thorisch suggested approaching writers of the Director's Council Statement to the Regents from the Council of Oklahoma Academic Library Directors. Marty Thompson and Ed Johnson were suggested. For a tech services representative, Ken Bierman and Robin Leech were suggested. Ila Grice and the Serials Librarian from OU Health Sciences were suggested as serials librarians. Anne Blakely and Francine Fisk were suggested as Reference/Public Services representatives.

There are three hotels in the vicinity of Rose State to consider.

The facilities at Rose State were double checked and they look okay.

The Fall Conference registration form will be in the September newsletter. There should also be a mailing to Oklahoma library administrators, North Texas, Emporia and University of Arkansas. Thorisch will put together a flyer.

Other Business: We need to update the Directory. Swinney will try to locate the file of the last directory. Cast will also check the Secretary's disks for an electronic copy.

Elections are to be held in October. The seats open are President- elect, Secretary, Treasurer and one board member. Officers must be members of the National ACRL. Locy assigned an election committee chaired by Harris Taylor and made up of Cast and Thorisch.

Locy is developing an ACRL - Oklahoma Chapter web site.

Next meeting is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., September 12, 1997 at Rose State.

Submitted by,
Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
September 12, 1997
Rose State

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President elect
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Beverly Jones, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch
Laura Bottoms, OBIC Chair
Mary Evans
Victoria Swinney

Absent: Bob Patterson

PREVIOUS MINUTES: Minutes were approved.

TREASURER'S REPORT: Beginning balance $2,544.92
Deposits 103.00
Expenditures 0.00
Balance $2,647.92

Number paid members: 102
Number sent newsletter: 160
Number of members not members of OLA or ALA: 8
Number of members not members on OLA role: 40

OBIC REPORT: Next meeting is scheduled for Sept. 26th at University of Tulsa.

OBIC elections will be held in October and suggestions for nominees are welcome.

PARAPROFESSIONAL AWARDS: Announcements with applications have been sent to OK library directors and various other organizations around the area.

ELECTIONS: Several names were given as possible nominees for the open positions of President, Secretary, Treasurer and one board member spot. It was noted that OK-ACRL officers must be ALA members.

Board member nominees - Anne Pestamo and Susan Shriner
Treasurer/Secretary positions - Bea Lavellee; Melissa Cast;
Laura Bottoms; John Heisch and Ed Wiles
President - Carolyn Torrence and Rick Sayre

Ballots will be returned to Rhonda Harris Taylor

NEWSLETTER: Thorisch submitted a short article to the National ACRL newsletter on our Fall Conference and the Paraprofessional Award.

The next newsletter will contain an announcement of the new library director at OSU-OKC, a message from the President, the section on libraries from the Regents' report and the library portion of the technology study recently done for the Regents. There will also be an announcement for the upcoming OK-ACRL elections.

UCD/OLA: UCD-OLA has asked two members, Linda Taylor and Laura Bottoms, to serve on a committee to look into forming a closer relationship between UCD-OLA and OK-ACRL. OK-ACRL will ask Bob Patterson and Dottie Davis to serve on the committee.

FALL CONFERENCE: John Woltz will be asked to be the final member of the Reactor Panel joining Ila Grice, Marty Thompson and Anne Blakely.

Keynote speakers - Lee Hisle will be our speaker from ACRL. We haven't received a bio or outline of his speech yet. Phil Moss sent his bio but not an outline of his speech.

Refreshments: Thorisch will contact Rose State for refreshments and will contact Dona Davidson about how the payment procedures worked last year.

Flyer: A flyer will be sent with the newsletter with the pre-registration form.

Pre-registration Fees: $25 nonmembers
$15 members
$10 full-time students

Pre-registration forms will be returned to Beverly by Oct. 31. Receipts will be available at the conference. People can also pre-register by e-mail and then pay at the door.

On-site registration fees:: $30 nonmembers
$20 members
$10 full-time students

Free guest: Paraprofessional award winners, OLA drawing winner, Jan Ferris , four reactor panelists and the two speakers.

Hotel: Clarion will be the designated conference hotel.

Packets: Will include a Midwest City restaurant guide, an agenda, 1998 membership form, and an evaluation form. Cast will make up the packets.

E-mail reminder: An e-mail reminder will be sent a couple weeks before the conference to OK library directors.

Submitted by,
Melissa Cast


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
October 10, 1997
Rose State

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President elect
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch
Laura Bottoms, OBIC Chair
Victoria Swinney

Absent: Bob Patterson
Beverly Jones, Treasurers
Mary Evans

PREVIOUS MINUTES: Minutes were approved.

TREASURER'S REPORT: Beginning balance $2,647.92
Deposits 0.00
Expenditures 142.36
Balance $2,505.56

Number paid members: 102
Number sent newsletter: 161
Number of members not members of OLA or ALA: 8
Number of members not members on OLA role: 40
Number of conference registrations: 8 ($not deposited)

Note: Have not yet received membership list from ACRL

OBIC REPORT: The group met at TU for a presentation by Charles Brooks. The attendance was very good. Elections are this month and the ballot will be sent out soon. Susan Hahn is the incoming chair.

NEWSLETTER: The newsletter was sent out this month. The next newsletter should include an outgoing message from the President and announce the winners of the Paraprofessional Award.

PARAPROFESSIONAL AWARDS: The winners are Beverlie A. Newby from Western Oklahoma State College, Mary Estrada from Tulsa Community College and Holli Seery from Oklahoma State University. Tom will take Holli to lunch, Victoria will take Mary to lunch, and Rhonda will take Beverlie to lunch. Rhonda will contact Beverly Jones about the winners and for receipts to be reimbursed by ACRL. Steve will introduce the winners at the conference.

ELECTIONS: The candidates so far are:

Secretary - Ed Wiles and Melissa Cast
Treasurer - Laura Bottoms and John Heisch
Board - Ann Prestamo, maybe Katherine Wong or Don Gilstrap
President - no candidates, have contacted Shari Clifton

Ballots are to be mailed October 15th. People can mail the ballots or turn them in at the conference. We'll have extra ballots available during the conference registration period in the morning.

UCD/OLA: The group has met once. Many issues and questions were raised. Bob Patterson is chairing the committee. Next meeting is to be determined.

FALL CONFERENCE: Packets will contain pens from OSU, an evaluation form, agenda, note paper and a 1998 membership form. If speakers have anything to hand out, we'll deal with that the morning of the conference. 1997 membership forms will be available for people who need to join this year in order to be reimbursed.

Refreshments - In the past, the bulk of it has been paid the day of the conference at the end of the day. Thorisch will confirm a week in advance. Plan for 60-80 people. The Steed Center will provide coffee and hot water. We'll bring tea bags. Thorisch will contact Beverly Jones for a number of registrants to determine how many donuts and how much juice will be needed, plan for approximately 20% more than registrants.

Tables - 5 tables will be needed. Two for registration. Two for refreshments. And one for the reactor panel. Contact the Steed Center.

Name tags - Beverly might have last year's leftovers.

Other items - We'll need tape, felt markers, dry board markers. Locy will check with the Steed Center for microphones and a overhead projector. The Steed Center has IBM lcd panels.

Beverly has asked about the tech services representation on the panel. It was suggested that since it overlaps with serials, systems and other areas that we could ask the panelists to consider it in their remarks, as well.

At the break out sessions, one board member should be at each session. Tom will go to Jon Woltz's session. Victoria will attend Ila Grice's session. We'll ask Beverly and Bob to attend Marty Thompson's session. Steve will attend Anne Blakely's session.

Wrap up - We'll ask the reactor panelists to summarize and report on their break out session and to present an idea or suggestion for the state, regional and national level. The panelists should make their presentations from the reactor panel table.

The board will meet at 8:00 a.m. before the conference.

CHAPTER TOPICS: Even though we were told our news wouldn't be in this issue is was. The next deadline is October 20. Since we can't make that deadline, we'll send in a conference evaluation immediately after the conference.

DECEMBER MEETING: It was suggested to make the December meeting a lunch meeting. Locy will contact people and see if that will work for them.

Submitted by,
Melissa Cast


Minutes 1997
January
February
March
April
June
July
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
December 12, 1997
Rose State

Minutes

Attendees: Steve Locy, President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President elect
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch, Board
Victoria Swinney, Past-President
Mary Evans, Board
Beverly Jones, Treasurer

Absent: Bob Patterson
Laura Bottoms, OBIC Chair

PREVIOUS MINUTES: Spelling of Anne Prestamo's name was corrected and minutes were approved.

TREASURER'S REPORT: Beginning balance $2,505.56
Deposits 795.00
Expenditures 500.25
Balance $2,800.31

Number paid members: 113
Number sent newsletter: 195
Number of paid conference registrations: 49 *Received ALA membership list for free.
*Still waiting for reimbursement from national ACRL
*Jones recommended the chapter consider an in-house audit of the books each year.

OBIC REPORT: Thorisch reported for Bottoms. Elections were held this Fall. Susan Hahn will be the new chair next year. Edwin Wiles is chair-elect. Janeen Dzu is secretary. The December 5 meeting was a business meeting.

NEWSLETTER: The next newsletter should go out towards the end of this month. It will include the conference report, election results, and Locy's good-bye as president.

With Thorisch's election as President-elect, someone else will have to take over as newsletter editor.

FALL CONFERENCE: The evaluations were positive. Overall impressions include that it moved well, had a good mix of people and that we lost people to the Amigos conference.

Taylor-Harris recommended we consider distance education as a topic for next Fall. UCD-OLA may be doing it at OLA's conference in the Spring. We'll talk to Charles Brooks to find out.

Everything has been reimbursed but the paraprofessional award money.

ELECTIONS: The winners are:
President-elect - Thomas Thorisch
Secretary - Melissa Cast
Treasurer - Laura Bottoms
Board - Anne Prestamo

Bob Patterson will probably be resigning. Board member Thorisch was elected as President-elect As a result, we'll have to appoint new board members in the Spring.

OLA CONFERENCE: Locy suggested we sponsor a message board. He's looking into renting the ALA message board.

NEXT MEETING: Will be held January 9, 1998 at OSU at 1:00 p.m.

Submitted by,
Melissa Cast

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

 

Last Update: 21 October 2004
Comments to: jason.dupree@swosu.edu
URL http://okacrl.okstate.edu/minutes97.htm