Minutes
1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

OK-ACRL Board Meeting Minutes
1998

line

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College & Research Libraries
January 9, 1998
Edmon Low Library, Oklahoma State University

Minutes

Attendees: Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past President
Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Charles Brooks, UCD/OLA
Anne Prestamo
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair

Absent: Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Bob Patterson

Previous Minutes: Correction was made to Thomas Thorisch title as President-Elect not President. Minutes approved with correction.

Treasurer's Report: None

Newsletter: Thorisch reported that the newsletter went out at the end of December. It was short due to problems with the e-mail request for information.

Anne Prestamo will take over the newsletter as the editor must be a board member and Thorisch is now President-Elect. Steve Locy will assist her.

OBIC Report: None

Board Member Vacancies: Bob Patterson is retiring and Thomas Thorisch is now President-Elect so two new board members need to be appointed. Both Patterson and Thorisch had one year left on their terms. Harris Taylor will ask Mary Evans to finish Patterson's term. Thorisch will contact some possible candidates for the second vacancy.

Fall Conference: Discussed possible themes. Two were mentioned: distance education and outsourcing. Brooks reported that UCD/OLA will be doing distance education at the OLA Conference. Phil Moss will be speak on the future of distance education in Oklahoma. Also, there will be two panel discussions. One on distance education in Oklahoma and the other on the Western Governor's Project. Prestamo suggested a subtopic of distance education to be on who's students are we serving. Harris Taylor suggested we do some reading on the subjects and discuses them over e-mail. We should also consider possible formats. Date and location will be discussed later.

ACRL funded Paraprofessional Award Final Report: Report was approved for submission to ACRL.

Appreciation to former board members: Locy will put together certificates of appreciation together for Bob Patterson, Victoria Swinney, Mary Evans and Beverly Jones.

UCD/)LA-OK-ACRL Chapter Relations: The taskforce meet and made a report in the Fall. Since Bob Patterson is retiring things are at a standstill. It was noted that National ACRL is discussing at Midwinter requiring state chapters to either incorporate or to join with the state's ALA affiliated library association.

Other Business: Locy is still working on renting a message board to sponsor at the OLA Conference to be held in Tulsa April 29 - May 2.

Web Page - Locy will continue working on the OK-ACRL web page and Prestamo will help. It lists the officers, past minutes and hopefully someday the bylaws. It could also contain a state library directory.

Future meetings: The next meeting will be February 13, 1997, 1:00pm, Edmon Low Library, Conference Room, Oklahoma State University Library.

The March meeting will be on the 6th at 1:00pm, Edmon Low Library, Conference Room, Oklahoma State University.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Cast, Secretary

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter-ACRL
February 13, 1998
Edmon Low Library, OSU, Stillwater

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Steve Locy, Past President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch, President-elect
Mary Evans, Board
Anne Prestamo, Board
Don Gilstrap, Board

Minutes: Approved

Treasurer's report: Beginning balance $2,750.17
Deposits 30.00
Expenditures 127.13
Balance, 2-10-98 $2,653.04

Newsletter: In progress. Locy and Prestamo received the disks from Thorisch and Cast. New membership forms will be sent with the next newsletter. The treasurer will continue to make up the mailing labels.

OBIC: The next meeting will be Feb. 27th in Stillwater. Dan Chaney will be the presenter. Hahn will send a reminder on the OK-ACRL list.

Appreciation for former board members: The text for the certificate is done. Locy is still looking for paper for the certificates.

ACRL/Paraprofessional Award: The report is done. It and the receipts will be sent to National ACRL for reimbursement.

OLA Conference: Locy has contacted OLA about our sponsoring a message board. He is waiting for a response. If we don't sponsor a message board, it was agreed that we won't have a table at the conference.

Website: A working page is up. We are looking for an electronic form of the by-laws. If one isn't found, Locy will try scanning a hard copy or having a grad student retype it in electronic format.

UCD/OLA-OK-ACRL Chapter Relations - Status of the group is unknown. At the last UCD/OLA meeting, the program they are sponsoring at the OLA conference was discussed. The topic is distance education. There will be three talks: the future of distance education; what's happening in Oklahoma; Western Governor's Project.

Fall Conference: The discussion focused on distance education as the topic. Several issues and possible speakers were discussed.

There are some librarians who contribute to the distance education listserv who could be contacted to speak.

The Western Governor's Project has picked the University of New Mexico's library as the central library. UNM Library has contracted with OCLC for services. Other institutions may apply to be part of the WG this Spring and may be offering classes in the Fall. A WG representative might be a possible speaker. Florida and California also have systems similar to WG.

Some possible ways of focusing the topic were also discussed. Suggestions included -who do we serve
-how do we serve them (ILL, Reference, BI, staffing, etc.)
Perhaps we could keep the afternoon break out sessions open in topic and let the facilitators take the topics in what direction they will.

Another suggestion was to look at the distance education and what they do. It was noted that they are mostly technical assistance. They usually route reference questions to a subject librarian. We could also look at how distance education could change the job description of other librarians.

There's a draft of the newly revised ACRL guidelines for distance education. The author, Harry Gover, might be a possible speaker.

A panel of distance education students could discuss their concerns. What about faculty and their concerns?

A possible order for the morning included having people for 4 groups a nonlibrary campus administrator, a faculty member teaching a distance education class, a student and a librarian (maybe a distance education librarian - Vicki York from Montana State or someone from ECLSS, Extended Campus Library Services Section of ACRL). The student and faculty member could be local to Oklahoma and the administrator and librarian could be from out of state. In the afternoon, we would go to break out sections and then rejoin as a whole group to report the discussions.

Meeting time: If in November, we need to avoid the Amigos weekend.

Locations: Possibilities include Rose State, UCO, OSU-OKC, Oklahoma City Community College. There might not be a few is the institution's library sponsors it.

Next meeting: March 6, 1:00pm at OSU Edmon Low Library, Conference Room.

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter-ACRL
March 6, 1998
Edmon Low Library, OSU, Stillwater

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Steve Locy, Past President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch, President-elect
Don Gilstrap, Board

Absent: Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Anne Prestamo, Board
Mary Evans, Board
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer

Minutes: Approved

Treasurer's report: No report.

Newsletter: Next issue will contain the President's column on how people can be involved with OK-ACRL. Thorisch will write a column on the Fall Conference. Everyone on the board needs to provide their current addresses and email addresses.

OBIC: The next meeting will probably be in Tahlequah. Date to be decided.

OLA Conference: No update on the message board.

Nominations committee: We need to appoint a nominations committee. Thorisch will organize the committee. It was suggested to ask past presidents to help. Thorisch will contact Victoria Swinney.

ACRL National Conference: Thorisch and Harris Taylor may be going to next year's conference. Harris Taylor handed out a paper calling for state groups to participate.

Fall Conference: Amigos is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 18, 19, 20. OSU-OKC is available for Nov. 6. Gilstrap reported that the UCO Library can probably sponsor the conference and that all Fridays in November are available there.

Possible registration fee - $20-25.

Several key issues were discussed in terms of possible topics for break out sessions: our changing identities, prioritizing our service, technical support, staffing and outsourcing, traditional services, copyright issues, other libraries serving distance education students, and support from administration. It was decided to have 3-4 break out sessions.

Harris Taylor asked that we identify the issues we're most interested in so she can check with UCD for overlap with what they're doing at the OLA conference. It was suggested that we ask for input from members. Members could email their ideas or respond to a questionnaire on the OK-ACRL website. Flyers advertising the web site could be handed out at the OLA conference. Locy volunteered to set up a questionnaire with Gilstrap assisting him.

Possible speakers include those discussed last week, Bill Gates, and Jere Roberson from UCO. Richard Madaus in Florida might know of someone with Solinet. And perhaps someone from ECLSS.

We discussed several topics for the speakers.
-what services do the users want
-how do you think the library should change
-learning styles in distance education
-communication issues
-training and support
-who are the students
-how to make the grand vision a practical actuality
-students want access at home (when they have trouble how can we get help to them)
-what do database vendors think about distance education
-economics/what is the allocation of funds

The topics seemed to go back to three broader issues: 1) access needs; 2)training and technical support; and 3)communication.

A possible schedule was looked at. After registration, we'll 30-45 minutes for each speaker with a break after the first two. Next lunch followed by break out sessions. Then regroup for summaries.

Possible titles: Are you being served? Distance education from vision to reality or reality to vision? Lost in Space

Meeting closed by looking at the OK-ACRL webpage.

Next meeting: May 15, 1998 at 1:00pm, OSU Edmon Low Library, Stillwater

Respectfully submitted,
Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter-ACRL
May 15, 1998
Edmon Low Library, OSU, Stillwater

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Steve Locy, Past President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Thomas Thorisch, President-elect
Don Gilstrap, Board
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair

Absent: Anne Prestamo, Board
Mary Evans, Board

Minutes: Changed the phrase "last week" in the discussion about the speakers to "last month". Approved.

Treasurer's report: Credits $88.00
Debits $116.37
Balance $2594.67

OBIC: The last meeting was held in Tahlequah. The next meeting will be in the Fall

Newsletter: It was decided to send the request for information only via e-mail as mail requests are rarely answered.

Next newsletter will be out at the end of June and will include SLA activities, UCD-OLA election results, and a follow-up on the Fall Conference. We need to include a list of the board members and their e-mail addresses in the next issue.

Everyone liked the new format of the newsletter.

Web Page: The page is up and running. The next goal is to add the newsletter to the page. A reminder about the web page should be in the next newsletter.

Fall Conference: Rhonda Taylor Harris presented a draft of the format based on the discussion from our last meeting. We went over what we had discussed previously. Possible speakers included someone from a vendor like Follet, Ed Johnson, Richard Madaus from Florida, Anne Prestamo, and someone from Western Governor's Conference.

The break out sessions will probably cover three issues: access, training and support, and communication.

Possible registration fee - $20-25.

Location: Still possibly UCO. Don Gilstrap will get us the name of a contact person.

Publicity: We should publicize the conference on the web page and the OK/ACRL listserv, in the newsletter, and with a flyer to SLA members, members of OLA's public library division and library directors asking them to bring a campus administrator. We also need to check for an office coordinating distance education in Oklahoma and invite them.

Possible panel speakers:
Richard Madaus - administrator
Anne Prestamo - librarian working with Western Governor's
Jere Roberson or Bob Swisher - faculty
Students - OSU

Rhonda Harris Taylor will contact Richard Madaus and tell him we're interested in a "how we did it good" talk, as well as getting to the nitty gritty about how it can be done. We'd like concrete examples of what libraries are doing and what it means for public libraries trying to serve these students also.

Possible slogan: "You've heard the overview. Now here's the REAL DIRT on distance education."

Certificates of Appreciation are being finished.

Other business: Nominations Committee-It was decided to hand out ballots at the conference again. We'll shift the agenda to allow time for the ballots and an introduction of candidates. Tom Thorisch is chairing the committee. Victoria Swinney will serve on the committee. Steve Locy will replace Don Gilstrap on the committee.

Don Gilstrap is resigning from the board. He's accepted a position in Connecticut. We'll need to appoint a new member, perhaps Habib Tabatabai.

OBIC by-laws don't specify procedures for filling a chair's or chair-elect's position if they can't finish their term. We need to look at how to change the by-laws in order to change this.

Next meeting: June 12,, 1998 at 1:00pm, Max Chambers Library, UCO, Edmond

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma- Association College and Research Libraries
June 12, 1998
Max Chambers Library, UCO
Edmond, Oklahoma
Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Thomas Thorisch, President-elect
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Steve Locy, Past-President
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Mary Evans, Board
Anne Prestamo, Board
Jane Taylor, UCO

Absent: Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair

Minutes: Approved.

Treasurer's Report: Current balance - $2597.67
Handed out a copy of the expenses from a Fall Conference held two years ago.

OBIC Report: No report.

Newsletter: Have two articles for the next newsletter: one on OK-SLA and on OSU updating patron services at the Circulation Desk. Locy has heard from only one OK library director with news. Laura Bottoms has provided membership cards. Other news for inclusion would be Pat McCall's attendance at the Asian Studies Development Program in Hawaii.

Web Page: The URL listed on the last newsletter was wrong so a new page with the incorrect address was created to direct people to the correct page. Membership and comment forms are available. Board members who receive the forms should not use the automatic reply feature to respond. The message will go the Dan Chaney not the original sender of the form.

Fall Conference: Jane Taylor joined the meeting briefly to offer the Max Chambers Library to cosponsor the Fall Conference. If the Conference were to be held in the UCO University Center, the Library would be billed for the rooms and the catering would be a separate bill. Dean Lolley offered to ask UCO President Webb to speak at the Conference.

Jane Taylor also suggested a couple of names as speakers and/or contacts for students who have taken distance education courses.

Madaus officially accepted and prefers the November 13th date. He is to let us know about airline tickets and what technical equipment and access he needs. We'll need to check with Jane Taylor to see if the Library can help with any technical needs. Will there be any AV costs or Internet access? Will someone be available the whole day to help with possible technical problems?

Another possible speakers -Steve Rowland, University of New Mexico. He's the frontman between UNM and the Western Governor's Project. He spoke at OLA for OKALD. He could discuss how negotiations with vendors when you're serving more than one institution. - Deb Cardinal, University of Wisconsin at Madison, is involved with system offering services to health services students in Wisconsin. -Bob Swisher OU, teaches international classes for the military. -Bart Binning, UCO, might help us locate students. Other possibilities for student speakers could be at OSU, Rogers and NSU.

Restaurant - Panda House on Broadway in Edmond has a buffet.

Hotels - Two possibilities 1)Ramada Inn across the street from the UCO University Center; 2)Hampton Suites on Interstate 35 should be open by the Fall.

Refreshments: Coffee, juice and pastries in the morning. Soft drinks and pastries from the morning session.

Parking - Can send visitor passes to those who preregister or can make arrangements with campus police ahead of time.

Break out sessions: We'll ask speakers to facilitate the sessions. A board member will be at each session to assist.

Other Business: Agreed to ask Betsy Tonn of UCO to finish Don Gilstrap's term as a board member. His term ends in December.

OLA-UCD: Thorisch met with the new president, Tom Briggs, Rowdy Williams, President-elect, and Al Lawless, Secretary. They were interested in sharing news, communicating more closely, helping each other with p.r. and coordinating events. They weren't sure about cosponsoring events because of the different structures of OLA and OK-ACRL.

Next meeting: Tentatively scheduled for July 10th at 1:00pm at OSU, Edmon Low Library.

Respectfully Submitted,

Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
July 10, 1998 1:00 p.m.
Edmon Low Library, Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past-President
Anne Prestamo, Board
Absent: Mary Evans, Melissa Cast

New Board Member Betsy Tonn, UCO, introduced

Minutes: Approved

Treasurer's Report:
4 membership renewals. Current balance: $2617.67 Report accepted.

OBIC Report:
No meetings scheduled during the summer. Next meetings will be announced soon.

Newsletter:
Newsletter was sent out to members in June. Membership cards included.

OK\ACRL Webpage:
National ACRL has not yet created a link to the OK chapter webpage, but has promised to take care of the problem soon.

Incorporation:
Steve Locy handed out a memo from the chair of ACRL Chapters Council concerning the incorporation or affiliation of ACRL's chapters with the state library organization. Questions regarding incorporation or affiliation were: What is our current status? (Contact Victoria Swinney) Do we need to send out a ballot to our members? In case of Texas ACRL and North Dakota ACRL an affiliation with the state library organization apparently worked successfully. OK\ACRL has a tax deferral number for the chapter bank account. Rhonda Taylor will find out if we are considered "incorporated" or not.

OLA/UCD meeting at OSU last week:
Steve Locy reported that UCD steered away from 'Distance Education' topics in order to avoid duplication with ACRL. Next UCD meeting will take place in Fall. We will post the date in the ACRL newsletter.

Fall Conference:
Steve Locy reported from OSU\OKC as conference site. Contacted David Robinson, the library director. Conference room reservation was made. Room has round tables for about 80 plus people. No charge would apply. There is a possibility of a similar slightly larger room with auditorium setting becoming available. Rhonda Taylor will stop by at OSU\OKC after the meeting and inspect facilities.
OU facilities: Conoco Room available and reserved. Will hold about 100 persons. Food service and refreshments would be a problem, but could be provided in SLIS facilities nearby, including break-out rooms for afternoon sessions. Another option could be the Union Room. Not yet clear if a fee would apply. The question of parking and parking fees needs to be clarified. The OU facilities as conference site would also enable ACRL to contact and make use of OU students involved in Distance Education.

Considering that the expected room charges and catering fees will not be very high in either case, a positive response was given to inviting another speaker from out of state (Steve Rowland). The suggested Bed & Breakfast in Norman would work for our guest speakers for either conference location. Airport pickup would not be a problem either.

Next meeting: August 21 at 2:00 p.m. in Norman at OU's SLIS Conference Room.

Meeting adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,

Thomas Thorisch

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
August 21, 1998
School of Library and Information Science University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past-President
Anne Prestamo, Board
Betsy Tonn, Board
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Absent: Mary Evans

Minutes: Approved

Treasurer's Report: Deposits $539.76
Expenditures $342.62
Balance $2947.31

We received reimbursements from National ACRL for the Paraprofessional Grant. Taylor passed around a memo from National ACRL on the approved budget, per member allocation, the chapters speakers bureau, the initiative fund and mail.

OBIC Report: Next meeting is scheduled for 1:00pm on Sept. 25th at the Univerity of Central Oklahoma. Anne Prestamo will be the speaker. Her presentation is entitled "Developing Web-based Tutorials for Library Resources." Lunch will be at 11:00am at the Interurban.

Newsletter/Web Page: The next issue will be out in a couple weeks. The ACRL chapter Annual Report will be on the web page. A call for presentations for OLA-UCD's section of the LA conference will also be included.

Incorporation: Victoria Swinney was contacted regarding our incorporation. Sh doesn't think OK-ACRL is incorporated. Taylor hasn't heard from National ACRL yet.

Fall Conference: Bizzell Library at OU was officially approved as the site for this year's Fall Conference.

Speakers - Madaus has purchased his ticket and his itinerary is being mailed. ottoms was approved to reimburse Madaus.

Swisher's student assistant is a possibility. She has experience in being a student involved with distance education and in teaching a web delivered class. Steve Locy's wife is another possible candidate. Anne Prestamo is in a class with potential speakers. She'll ask them.

Steve Rollins will be consulting in Alaska at the time of our conference but is willing to speak if we could reimburse him for the ticket. Because of the cost of a ticket from Alaska, it was agreed to ask him if he could suggest someone else. Other names that have been mentioned in the past were Harry Gover with ACRL and Deb Cardinal at Wisconsin.

Lodging: Taylor will make reservations for speakers at the Montford Inn B&B. Breakfast is included. Rates should be approximately $60.

Packets - Hahn will get a list of restaurants at Campus Corner. Taylor will see about other campus related items such as a campus map. Thorisch will get the new membership form. Cast will get the agenda and evaluation form ready and put the packets together. Locy will look into gift subscriptions to Oklahoma Today for the speakers.

Parking - The conference registration form will include an option to purchase parking permit for the conference.

Refreshments: It was decided to order 3-4 gallons of coffee from the campus. Hahn and Taylor will look into getting donuts from a bakery or on campus. Also need to check on juice, hot water and tea.

Name badges - Bottoms will look into it.

Registration form - Locy will take care of it and ask on the form if special accommodations are needed for participants. The form will be included in the newsletter and on the web page for printing. A mailing will be sent to the OLA-UCD group, SLIS students, Oklahom Distance Education group, OCALD. An e-mail reminder will be sent as well as an announcement the A-UCD listserv and other listservs.

Equipment - We need to hear from Madaus and other speakers if they need any special equipment. Prestamo has access to a laptop with Power point if necessary.

Cost - We estimated the cost of the conference to be approximately $1500. Registration fees were decided as follows:

  • Members $25
  • Nonmembers $35
  • Students $10
Title: From Vision to Reality: Libraries and Distance Education
Agenda: It was decided to follow the same schedule as last year.

Next meeting: Sept 11 at 1:00pm. Edmon Low Library, OSU, Stillwater, OK.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Cast, Secretary

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
Sept. 11, 1998
Edmon Low, Conference Room,
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past-President
Anne Prestamo, Board
Betsy Tonn, Board
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Mary Evans
Tom Biggs -OLA-UCD

Minutes: Approved

Treasurer's Report:
August Balance - $2947.31
September Balance - $2424.96

Bottoms applied for the $100 reimbursement from National ACRL. She turned in receipts for mailings for it.

Madaus was reimbursed for his plane ticket.

OBIC Report: Next meeting is scheduled for 1:00pm on Sept. 25th at the University of Central Oklahoma. Anne Prestamo will be the speaker. Her presentation is entitled "Developing Web- based Tutorials for Library Resources." Lunch will be at 11:00am at the Interurban.

OBIC Elections are coming and they are looking for candidates.

Newsletter/Web Page: Minutes are now current on the web page. Waiting for final conference information before posting that.

The newsletter should be out next week. The editors have received some interesting news from around the state. Will also include Fall Conference information and registration form

Incorporation: Incorporation information is being sent. Lois Cherepon with ACRL is reviewing our situation. Additionally, Harris has a contact name in Texas to check on their status.

Elections: Thorisch has found 4 candidates. Julia Crawford from OSU Patents is interested. Newsletter will call for candidates, as well.

Fall Conference: Decided to adjust the registration time to 8:15am to 8:45am and have the conference begin at 8:45am, in order to allow time for introductions.

Speakers - 2nd speakers are Steve Rollins and Barbara Rosen from University of New Mexico. Rollins is staying Wed-Sat. Rosen is staying Thurs-Sat. We are committed to paying for one night.

Student Speakers - Karen Cozart from OU and Michael Guard from OSU are confirmed.

Hotel Reservations - Hampton Inn for Rollins and Cozart. Madaus will stay at the Montford Inn B&B. Taylor is looking into getting a reduced rate if we make the Hampton Inn a designated conference site.

Decided to have a group dinner Thursday night.

Locy needs a week notice to order subscriptions for the main speakers. We won't get subscriptions for the student speakers. For Swisher, we might donate a subscription to a library.

Facility arrangements - Still waiting to hear from Madaus about equipment needs for his speech.

Packets - Hahn made a map of the restaurants at Campus Corner. OU Visitor Center has information packets that we could possibly use. It includes a pen but not writing paper.

Registration - It was decided to charge an additional $5.00 for onsite registration of members and nonmembers. There will be no difference for students. Deadline for registration will be Oct. 31. Bottoms is the contact person. A registration form will be sent with the newsletter and will be available on the web page. Registrants can print the page and mail it in with their check. There will be a statement on the form for individuals with special physical or communication needs to contact Taylor. The page will include Bottoms' e-mail is anyone has questions. E-mail reminders will be sent to OLA-UCD members, Texas library listserv, OCALD listserv, OK Distance Education listserv and OU-SLIS listserv.

Refreshments: Will be decided over e-mail.

Rhonda will look for student volunteers to help stuff

Althea Jenkins, Executive Director of National ACRL will probably attend the conference. We decided to take her to lunch.

Other Business: Bottoms will give a list of our members to Tom Biggs for OLA-UCD

Locy and Prestamo submitted a proposal for a poster session at National ACRL.

Next meeting: October 9, at 1:00pm at OU-SLIS conference room, Bizzell Library, Oklahoma University, Norman.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Cast, Secretary

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
Oct. 9, 1998
Oklahoma SLIS, University of Oklahoma
Norman, Oklahoma

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past-President
Anne Prestamo, Board
Betsy Tonn, Board
Melissa Cast, Secretary
Mary Evans
Jonathan Woltz -OLA-UCD

Minutes: Treasurer's report for the September balance should read $2,424.96.
Minutes corrected and approved.

OBIC Report: Seventeen people attended the last meeting. The next meeting will be Nov. 20.

OBIC is still looking for candidates..

Newsletter/Web Page: The group looked at the updated web page with information regarding the conference.

The next newsletter will be in December. There are some stamps left over to use for the next mailing.

ACRL Incorporation: Taylor has received a packet on how to incorporate.

Elections: No new candidates since the last meeting. No one has responded to the call for candidates in the newspaper. Four more people are needed for a full ballot.

The bylaws state that we need to have ballots mailed by Oct. 15th with results by Nov. 15th. Since there was good voter turnout last year when ballots where distributed to members at the conference, it was decided to go ahead and hand out ballots at the conference again this year and then mail ballots to those who don't attend. Mail in ballots should be postmarked by Nov. 20th.

It was suggested that the board consider changing the bylaws regarding elections next year. A business meeting could possibly be held at OLA to vote on the issue. Taylor will look into scheduling a brown bag session at OLA.

Fall Conference: Have received some registrations. Bottoms will have name tags and receipts for those who preregister.

71 labels have been provided by National ACRL.

Packets - OU Visitor Center is putting together 75 packets for us. Thorisch will get blank paper for the packets. Cast will finish the agenda and evaluation forms, and will get them copied.

Bottoms will look into getting handouts from National ACRL on the organization and the upcoming conference. We'll ask for 150 copies. Leftovers will be saved for OLA.

Speakers - Taylor has lodging arrangements completed. Hahn will help with speakers' equipment needs. The group will meet with the speakers for dinner Thursday night at 7:00pm. Taylor will make reservations. Bottoms will check on Althea Jenkins' joining us. Hahn will pick up Madaus at the airport. Prestamo will take him to the airport on Friday. Taylor will make sure the student panelists get to the campus.

Refreshments - OU Food Services will provide the coffee. Taylor will finish up arrangements for the other refreshments.

Other business: When the Fall Conference is over, the web page will be changed to highlight the National ACRL Conference.

Prestamo announced that National ACRL is offering scholarships to attend their conference. Information on the scholarships is posted on http://www.ala.org/acrl/confschl.html.

The ACRL-OK listserv can stay on the SLIS system next year.

Prestamo will continue with the newsletter and web page next year.

Woltz announced that OLA-UCD is having a conference the first week of March tentatively titled "Tools for Managing and Accessing Internet Resources."

Treasurer's Report: October balance - $2499.07

December meeting: December 11th in Stroud. Location to be announced.

Respectfully submitted,

Melissa Cast

 


Minutes 1998
January
February
March
May
June
July
August
September
October
December

Minutes Home

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

line

 

Oklahoma Chapter - Association of College and Research Libraries
December 11, 1998
Stroud Public Library
Stroud, Oklahoma

Minutes

Present: Rhonda Harris Taylor, President
Susan Hahn, OBIC Chair
Laura Bottoms, Treasurer
Thomas Thorisch, President-Elect
Steve Locy, Past-President
Betsy Tonn, Board
Darcy Rankin, Board

Minutes: One correction to minutes from October 9, 1998 meeting. On the first page, under Elections, second sentence should read "No one has responded to the call for candidates in the newspaper."
Minutes corrected and approved.

Results of election: Thorisch reported that the new officers are Susan Hahn, President-Elect, Julia Crawford, Secretary, Laura Bottoms, Treasurer, and Darcy Rankin, Board.

Treasurer's report. Bottoms reported that approximately $1600 was spent on the fall conference, and approximately $1700 was taken in. Approximately 70 people attended the conference. Final accounting will be reported at the next meeting.

Conference evaluations: Thorisch reported that most questions on the evaluation form received high ratings. Dr. Madaus especially was highly rated. Relevance, organization, and content were all good. Most common reasons for attending were the topic of distance education, Dr. Madaus as a speaker, and general support for Oklahoma ACRL. Suggestions for improvement included shortening the a.m. session and allowing time for immediate questions after each speaker. Suggested topics for next year's conference included electronic journals, Internet use for distance education, resource sharing, document delivery and outsourcing.

Report on Business Meeting to be held at Spring, 1999 OLA Conference: Taylor reported that she has not heard yet from OLA on when the brown bag lunch meeting will be scheduled at the OLA conference. The luncheon is planned to discuss the incorporation issue and to vote on changing constitutional amendment to allow for the election of officers at the fall conference. She will check will Kay Boies. Information will be given to Locy for newsletter.

OBIC news: Hahn reported on meeting in Norman on December 4, 1998, where she discussed the Internet Librarian Conference that she attended. The new chair of OBIC is Edwin Wiles from OCU. Chair-Elect is Gwen Dobbs from UCO, and Secretary is Pat Williams from ODL.

No report from OLA-UCD since Jon Woltz was not in attendance at this meeting.

Newsletter: Locy reported that Anne Prestamo, OSU, will take over the responsibility. Items to be in the next newsletter (December) are the new officers, membership application form, information about proposed amendment change, and report on the conference including evaluations and photographs.

Website: Locy reported that this will be updated with the new officers. Prestamo and Crawford will assume responsibility.

ACRL Incorporation: Taylor reported that Althea Jenkins suggested that the state chapter of ACRL join with OLA and have separate conferences. Taylor will continue trying to contact officers of the Texas Library Association to discuss with them. Locy & Thorisch will discuss with others at national ACRL conference in Detroit. Discussion among board members seemed to favor keeping separate from OLA because of different goals and approaches to conferences and finances.

Other Business: Thorisch mentioned need to update list of officers of the board on the listserv, webpage, newsletter. Board members were asked to send current email, fax and phone information to him, which he will forward to appropriate places.

Investiture: Thorisch was crowned by Taylor with official visor. Hahn was given official ballot box by Thorisch.

Next meeting: January 8, 1999, 1:00 p.m. at library at Rogers State. Bottoms will distribute directions to board members before the meeting.

Respectfully submitted,
Betsy Tonn

backReturn to OK-ACRL homepage

 

Last Update: 21 October 2004
Comments to: jason.dupree@swosu.edu
URL http://okacrl.okstate.edu/minutes98.htm